Researching Caddy 500 swap into C4 Corvette; request info and pics
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Researching Caddy 500 swap into C4 Corvette; request info and pics in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ...
    CadVetteStang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 Eldorado ESC, 70 Eldorado, 82 Eldorado w/472

Researching Caddy 500 swap into C4 Corvette; request info and pics

Im collecting research for a planned 500 into C4 Corvette swap. Id like any information you have on previously done swaps including pictures.

Ive been finding deals on C4 Vette project cars from $900 - $3500. The cost of getting a C4 is going to be less than replacing my 72 Fastback Mustang with a car of the same condition. I was going to put C4 Vette suspension under the front of the Mustang anyway, so as it turns out, building the Vette is going to be much cheaper and a little easier.

The Chevy guys in the Vette forums are advising me to stay away from 1990 up cars due to their electronics. I think I want to avoid the 84 because of the crossfire injection. I prefer using a modified TPI injection setup. I want to plumb an aftermarket Caddy intake for the injectors, install a fuel rail, build a converter box to mount where the carb would be so I can install an aftermarket 780 CFM or 1,000CFM throttle body and install a chip so that the Vettes computer will run it as if the 500 was a factory option. (see uploaded picture for TPI adaptor box)

I know I will have issues with the tranny and the rear end. My goal for that is a race hardened Dana 44 with 3.07 gears and a race prepped Grand National TH200 4R. However, for this thread, the focus of my research is the physical swap of the engine and the setup and tuning of the fuel injection.

I have heard from the Chevy guys that a Big Block Chevy swap requires the frame to be notched and the rack to be moved forward 2.5. Im thinking with the Caddy distributor in the back, the engine can be set back a little and may reduce or eliminate the relocation of the rack. Id like as many pictures as possible of swaps that have been done. I have also been told that I will need at least a 6 point cage in the car.

My budget (heavily affected by medical bills) will limit what I can do with the Caddy motor. My goal is to match the strength of the engine with the strongest possible modified Dana 44 rear end. However, that may limit me to a stock 500 at 10:1 with a cam, intake and headers. That would make my budget happy, anyway.

Im not in a hurry; I am just planning right now. I want to know what to get and how to do it. I want to bargain shop at the swap meets and salvage yards and build this thing for such a cheap price that no one believes it. Paint and bodywork will be a low priority until the car is 500 powered and very fast. If I am lucky enough to find a running car, Ill drive it while I prepare the Caddy engine, suspension and collect parts. I wont actually begin the swap until I have everything I need; Im not going to loose another project car to the crusher. And I am determined to show up an SCCA autocross event with the fastest car.

If you know any Caddy parts vendors who might have Corvette customers, please let them know Im researching this swap; maybe their customers will join the forum and share their photo documentation and research data.

Thanks,
    Cody G. Carson
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.