Oil change...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Oil change... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello guys, I drive a 1968 DeVille over here in Sweden during the summer months. The car rolls like 800-1000 ...
    Swedish DeVille Dude is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac DeVille 1968.

Oil change...

Hello guys,
    I drive a 1968 DeVille over here in Sweden during the summer months. The car rolls like 800-1000 miles between April and September and then I store it in a barn during the winter months.
    I thought I would change the engine oil within the next few weeks as it was almost two years (though not too many miles) since I did this.
    A few days ago when having the engine running and the hood open I could hear a slight ticking from the right hand side valves.
    I know you guys have mentioned Marvel Mystery Oil but I can't seem to find that over here in Sweden (importing it would be too expensive, I'm afraid).
    Would you suggest that I find an equal substance (if there are any) and pour it in with the new oil or would an internal engine flush be a good idea you think ?
    Kind regards from the other side of the pond !

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

osu411yamaha is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Re: Oil change...

Lucas Oil Stabilizer

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Todays "over the road" motor oils do not have the correct additives for a flat tappet cam... the additives were removed and replaced with less effective ones because of emissions and roller cams...anyone with a flat tappet cam should use racing oil, like valvoline VR-1, or get the special additive in a can.. sold by people that know...

Thanx for the advice, guys.
    So would you suggest using a mineral oil together with the proper additive or using a synthetic oil ?
    Cheers from Sweden !

...I have now bought a couple of liters of mineral 20w-50 which most owners of classic Caddys over here in Sweden seem to prefer. That together with a new filter will probably do my engine good.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

The "W" in the oil is a detergent designator. If you check the containers for "CI-4" it will be the oil with the additives you need. The current "regular" oils have only 800 PPM of ZDDP, and diesel oil is now reduced to 1100 PPM (it was 1300PPM before) Royal Purple motor oil has the 1300 PPM, according to an email I received from them last week, with the designator API CI-4/SL service classification on the containers.

osu411yamaha is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Isn't too much detergent actually bad for an older engine? I have heard that gunk builds up with time around the seals in your engine and these seals wear with time. The gunk actually keeps the oil from leaking out of the seals. If you use an oil with too high concentration of a detergent it will clean the gunk and cause leaks.....May just be a redneck theory, but there does seem to be some logic in it. At least to a guy like me whose whole bloodline consists of KY, WV, and TN

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Swedish DeVille Dude View Post
    Hello guys,
    I drive a 1968 DeVille over here in Sweden during the summer months. The car rolls like 800-1000 miles between April and September and then I store it in a barn during the winter months.
    I thought I would change the engine oil within the next few weeks as it was almost two years (though not too many miles) since I did this.
    A few days ago when having the engine running and the hood open I could hear a slight ticking from the right hand side valves.
    I know you guys have mentioned Marvel Mystery Oil but I can't seem to find that over here in Sweden (importing it would be too expensive, I'm afraid).
    Would you suggest that I find an equal substance (if there are any) and pour it in with the new oil or would an internal engine flush be a good idea you think ?
    Kind regards from the other side of the pond !
    Short your oil fill by one quart and replace it with a qt. of trans fluid.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.