73 Eldorado timing gears
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 73 Eldorado timing gears in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have just been told that the timing gears have failed in my 73 eldo convert. I have also been ...
    rum1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

73 Eldorado timing gears

I have just been told that the timing gears have failed in my 73 eldo convert. I have also been told that the engine needs to come out to replace them. The car has only about 65k on it but the cost of these repairs will exceed the value. Is this true? Is it a common thing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 73 Eldorado timing gears

As I recall, that car has a 501 cid engine and a football field of real estate under the hood. It's been a long time since I've even seen one, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that is can be done with the engine right where it is. Get another estimate.

BIG ERN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 STS

I'm sure if the radiator is removed there woul be more than enough room to do the job

I'm not even sure that would be necessary. Those battle ships had acres and acres of room under the hood.

rum1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Is this a common thing?

Is what common? Timing gear wear? Yeah, somewhat. They used nylon gears to keep the noise down and the teeth wear away. The replacement will be steel. Compare the two and you'll be amazed.

BIG ERN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 STS

73 eldos are tanks the chain shoudn't go at such a low mileage unless there should be a 1 in front of that 65K mi.,sorry i can't help you more we just don't get many on this forum. try the 472, 500,etc. forum for more answers to your questions

I'll move this thread over there.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

If you do put a chain and gears in your eldo... make sure you use a Cloyes #3139 set... they have cheaper sets , but if your going to do the job its not worth cheaping out...If the chain has jumped more than one tooth, 73 are small chamber heads, the pistons can hit the valves... so the first thing to do is pull off the rockerarms and put compressed air to the spark plug holes and see if the valves are leaking... you will hear the air blowing out the carb or tailpipe or both... If they are leaking you will need all new valves...
    And yes you can change it with the motor in the car... but its not eazy.. But its really hard to pull that motor out..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.