Cadillac Owners Forum banner

How do I identify cadillac motor

6K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  barge master 
#1 ·
I am a Ford guy who ran into a Caddy motor(I think) and would like to know how to identify it. I see no numbers on the outside of the block. Please help. Terry

#2 ·
Well....the 472 and 500's have a number cast into the rear of the block, just behind the intake, on top of the bellhousing flange. The heads have a number cast under the valve covers (under rockers) or on top of one of the exhaust ports.
If you find those numbers, maybe we can help......check the link below also.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9364/guide/Engineid.html

#3 ·
A couple quick things that might help identify a 472 or 500........the distributor is in the front and is at an angle towards the drivers side, the stock intake sits very low. the plenum is actually below the intake ports in the head. The firing order is cast into the rear of the intake (1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8), the later model engines ('70(?)-'76) have a heater hose fitting in the back of the passenger side head.......hope this helps some.

#5 ·
are you sure the last four numbers on the block aren't 6238? I personally, have not seen one of the early (6238) blocks.....I'm just going by what I've read. Supposedly, the early blocks had the heater hose fitting in the block, just below the thermostat housing.
Cadillac did have a 250 head casting......it was an early, small chamber head. Other small chamber head castings were, 950 (usually found on '70 models....they had no smog rails) and 902. The later, large chamber 472/500 head castings were 552 and 493.

If the oil pan is off, you can check the casting number on the crank.......the site that I listed above shows where to look. It sounds like you may have an early 472 though.

#7 ·
Sounds like a 472 to me but without seeing it, there's no way to be 100% certain.
Most people like the 500 simply because of the cubic inches. The 472 is every bit as good a engine, just not quite as big.
Are you going to sell it? If so, what's your approximate location?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.