Overactive blower
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Overactive blower in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi All, I'm the proud (relatively) new owner of a 68 Sedan DeVille - had it a couple months and ...
    SandShifter is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 68 Sedan DeVille

Overactive blower

Hi All,

I'm the proud (relatively) new owner of a 68 Sedan DeVille - had it a couple months and love the thing so far - great car. Been reading a bunch in this forum - an incredible amount of knowledge in here.

As of a couple weeks ago, I seem to now have a blower motor on my hands that never wants to quit. Whenever I take the car out, come back, park it and turn the key off - the blower won't stop no matter what I do (I've actually taken to disconnecting the battery's negative feed to stop it entirely so it stops draining.

I *believe* the culprit is a faulty blower relay from the reading I've been doing (shop manuals are awesome!) but am not 100% sure, as I'm a newbie and not sure I have the electrical diagram completely understood.

Anyone run into this before or have any thoughts?

Thanks much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

Re: Overactive blower

Its either the relay, or the coil wire is always powered. Bruce Roe CLC # 14630

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

It sounds like the relay. I don't know where it is located though; it's usually close by in that general area. It might be easier to unplug the blower until you figure it out instead of removing the battery terminal.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

It's kind of curious as to how the blower gets power with the ignition off. The later Caddys have a residual-power relay, which keeps power on for some things like the radio, power windows etc, with the ignition off, until a door is opened. Don't know about an older one like yours.
    You need a manual with electrical schematics in it. Try Ebay for a factory manual. It will pay for itself very quickly.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

I have seen a alternator diode short out and back feed power and keep things like the blower on...try taking off the wires to the alt. and see if the blower stops..

SandShifter is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 68 Sedan DeVille

Thanks for the thoughts on this, everyone. I have made the upgrade on "which end of the wire I'm unhooking" as the immediate work-around

I do have a shop manual, but my comprehension of the electrical schematic is the weak point...... The previous owner had pretty much every wire in the engine wrapped in a ton of electrical tape, making deciphering the wires kind of a mess, so I'm going to avoid jumping into that if possible, but sounds like the relay is at least a reasonable guess here......I'll check into a replacement if it's not too expensive. The relay is attached to the back of the dashboard by a screw or two, so it's not looking like a tough replacement procedure.

Absolute worst case scenario - I've not used the climate control to this point anyways, so may just live without - my primary concern is it draining the battery after ignition shutdown.

Thanks!

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

Oh, you have CLIMATE CONTROL. I don't have a 69 Cad manual, but my 79 CC blower control is quite different from my other non CC cars. You really must get a manual to deal with this system. Bruce Roe CLC # 14630

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.