Is it possible to Stroke 69 high compression 472 to 500?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Is it possible to Stroke 69 high compression 472 to 500? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello, I'm from Thailand. I'm finding a 472 or 500 to put into my 78 Fleetwood brougham. Today I went ...
    ardisorn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Smile Is it possible to Stroke 69 high compression 472 to 500?

Hello,

I'm from Thailand.
    I'm finding a 472 or 500 to put into my 78 Fleetwood brougham.
    Today I went to see a 472 at my friend's place.
    He have told that it has been remove from a 74 Fleetwood brougham which should be a low compression one. As I look at it the Block casting number is 1486238 which only use in a 472 from 68-69. So lucky me it is a high compression version!!
    However the engine wasn't properly kept, some water went to the intake manifold cause the piston to stuck.
    I think it might need a full overhaule with oversize pistons and rings.

So when it came to this point, I'm thinking about stroke it to 500.
    I think i need a 500 crank, 500 piston and ring.
    Could this be possible?

As far as I know 500 and 472 start from 70 use the Block with #1485200
    But the 68-69 use the one with #1486238
    It mean there is no 500 came from the factory with #1486238
    Is there any differences between these 2 blocks?

Sorry for take you guy quite a long time to read.
    also sorry about my english too.

Have a good day.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

Re: Is it possible to Stroke 69 high compression 472 to 500?

There might be a need to clearance the older block for the longer stroke. Check with MTS on details & parts.
    Bruce Roe CLC # 14630

hermanpj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 Deville Convertible (soon)

I have reached out to MTS to ask this exact question. Will post response. question though - are the 500 cyl heads different? I mean people bore stroke and clearance blocks all the time, but once that has been done and you have 500 CID of displacement, my thinking is to work on on my existing 472 heads to improve their flow characteristics and put an MTS valve, spring, lifter and cam package in to improve performance while not actually going out and getting 500 heads. Id rather do this than buy MTS 500 custom heads which are nice but very pricey.

are there any other known major hurdles?

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 FWD fleetwood, '93 fleetwood Bro

The 472 will have plenty of power if it's the '68,69 version. Without getting heavy parts shipped, like a crankshaft etc, you could just get the block bored and new stock '68/69 pistons etc., and have the original crank ground under size. The factory rating was around 325 HP. MTS can recommend a cam to work with that engine without stroking it etc.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I don't think there is that much difference in power between the 472 and the 500. The 472 is perfectly fine as it is in my opinion.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

You can probably get oversize pistons fron Egge if your cylinders are comprimised by water damage. If your piston is seized in the bore, you might be able to free it with Marvel Mystery Oil or trans fluid. Let it set for a week, then try getting it to move.
    If you have some rust in the cylinder, clean out as much as possible, then use a cylinder hone and hone the cylinder until the rust clears up. Measure the bore at this point to determine if you need oversized pistons.
    I don't know what you have for facilities in your country, machine shops, technology, etc. If your cylinders are .012 oversize or less at this point there is another way to get this engine back in operation using your stock pistons.

laynrockers is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1969 Coupe Deville, 2009 CTS-V, 1966 C-10

i have a 1969 cadillac deville with 472 and I am having similar problems with my motor. One of the cylinders isn't firing and have been told it is either collapsed piston or broken rocekr. I looked into MTS they sell new 500 block ready to turn for about $4800 I was thinking of going that way to lower problems of somthing else down the road. Amd it will yield 400hp. LEt me know what you eneded up doing and how that turned out, if you are happy. Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.