Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Thread: new timing set

cowboycadillac556 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

new timing set

I am kinda learning as i go here and am trying to get my new timing chain in and am wondering what cylinder should be in "firing position"? please excuse my mechanical grammar or lack there of. I have read that #4 should be in firing position, does this make the marks line up? and also how should the distributor be set?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville

Re: new timing set

Whew, it's been a while, but I'm positive #1 has to be at top dead center with both valves closed

it might be helpful to know that the engine is a 74 472, also my heads are at the machine shop till friday and i am trying to get this done together before they come back.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

On the 472/500 engines, when the timing marks on the chain sprockets are lined up, #1 is NOT at top-dead-center. It's on the exhaust stroke. You have to rotate the crankshaft 1 full turn (to the timing mark) to get the distributor timed to the #1 firing position.
    Kinda strange why it's that way, but even the firing order and cylinder numbers are different than most engines, with number one cylinder being on the right-front. Firing order FYI is 1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8

will it run if I just line the marks up?

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

Right, Cad lines up on cylinder 4. I wrestle the old timing marks to line up, then take the cap off the distributor & mark the exact position of the rotor to the distributor. The distributor to engine can be marked also to get you on the same tooth. But expect that to move a little due to the new chain (if the rotor is exact). Bruce Roe CLC #14630