looking for a 500
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, looking for a 500 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm currently looking for a Cadillac 500 ci to replace my 331 in my 55 fleetwood. Also need a turbo ...
    txlowbrow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1955 fleetwood series 62

looking for a 500

I'm currently looking for a Cadillac 500 ci to replace my 331 in my 55 fleetwood. Also need a turbo 400 tranny. 1970-72

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

priests500 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 500 ci caddy in a custom pickup

Re: looking for a 500

I'm sure a lot of guys are guarded about their powerplants and their sources...however, I find it hard to believe that nary a soul has offered up a suggestion for this request.

There are a few online services that cooperate with salvage yards across America. Try a google search using "parts search" and you should get a plethora of results for these services. Some of these charge fees, some dont.

Personally, I would search every salvage yard within a reasonable driving distance. You might be surprised about the likelihood of finding a diamond in the rough.

I was strolling through the engine building of a boneyard one day asking about big blocks....when one of the yard guys said that he had his eye on a gem...but didnt think he would ever get to the project. I inquired further....

He points to a big blue behemoth in the back corner of the room. Come to find out, a 71 eldo was wrapped around (literally) a pole - leaving only big blue (literally). It was obvious that she hadnt gotten very far before the chance encounter....she was very clean...and intact.

The moral of the story was that after breaking it all down...it was in fact, a very low mileage, complete 500, right out of that car (er horseshoe)....the yard had been saving it for a special customer, then the yard guy, then cash-in-hand prevailed.

Stick with it...there has to be some in your area. I have found a couple here and there since to snag pieces and parts off of. You may have to settle for a piecemeal approach as the rodding business has taken a likin to the big caddies of late. Good luck.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

You almost need to look for a salvage yard that has the older cars. Many yards scrap out cars after they become a certain age, to make room for later model stuff.

gsautotech is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 fleetwood brougham, 1969 coupe deville

i got a 500 , 425 and a 472 for sale

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

You also need to know how to identify a 500 versus a 472. cad500parts.com has a section in their catalog about the identity thing. Not much difference in power I would think.

andy-gts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 68 and 70 eldorado

if you are still looking , I have a 500 from a 70 eldo that is for sale cheap and it runs well . Iwas saving it for my 68 eldo if ever needed but had the 472 rebuilt instead
    My email is franchi2005@hughes.net
    andy

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.