Vacuum Lines screwed up! Help!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Vacuum Lines screwed up! Help!!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Trying to get the car running, and all the vacuum lines seem to be in the wrong places. Want someone ...
    Merenth is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Vacuum Lines screwed up! Help!!!

Trying to get the car running, and all the vacuum lines seem to be in the wrong places. Want someone out there with a little more experience to make sure I'm setting everything up right. This is the best I can tell based on the vacuum diagrams I have seen....

Let's start with the vacuum advance...
    1. Circle on the left goes to the Carburator Vacuum
    2. Top circle goes to the C on the Thermal Vacuum
    3. Circle on the right goes where?

Now the Transmission Vacuum
    1. Transmission vacuum going to carburator?

Thermal Vacuum
    T. Manifold Vacuum? (Runner 3 or 7?)
    C. Line to Vacuum Advance/Carburator
    D. Line to distributor

Manifold Vacuum (Off runner 7)
    Should this be run to the Thermal Vacuum switch?

Carb Front
    1. Circle on right goes to Vacuum Advance
    2. Any ideas on the others?

I know, tons of questions. If someone has pictures of their engine or could point me in the right direction, it would be great! I know that another alternative to the thermal vacuum switch is to just plumb the carb vacuum straight to the distributor. In this case, am I able to ignore the thermal vacuum switch? And what do I do about the vacuum advance?
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Brother_B is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1969 Coupe DeVille, 1972 Sedan DeVille

Re: Vacuum Lines screwed up! Help!!!

This isn't the best diagram, but it's a start. The way I got it was by calling Chilton's and complaining that they didn't have a vacuum diagram for my car in their 1967-89 repair manual. The guy I spoke to was pretty cool and sent me this.
    Attached Images

Brother_B is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1969 Coupe DeVille, 1972 Sedan DeVille

On the thermal vacuum switch, I think C goes to ported carbo vacuum. I think that's the circle on right in the carb front picture. D goes to vacuum advance on the distributor, and MT goes to A.I.R. pump (diverter valve). On my car, I have a rear port in the intake manifold going to the vacuum modulator on the transmission. (I have a '69 472 with TH400 trans.) I am not 100% psitive that's right... I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

OK, got most of it figured out now except for the vacuum advance solenoid (first picture). Left line goes to the carb, right line goes to the distributor, but where does the top line go to? In the diagram I have, it shows running up to the air filter housing, but I've changed now and no longer have the original housing.

Additionally, since this may be relevant, this is NOT an emissions controlled vehicle and doesn't have the AIR pump. Additionally, on a side note, if anyone with a classic 472 in the Dallas, Texas area is willing to meet up so I can take a look at how things are on a properly running vehicle, it would be great.

CORRECTION:

The system I need to get rid of it seems is the T.C.S. (Transmission Controlled Spark-advance) solenoid (see first picture above) and Transmission Pressure sensing switch. See the attached image for the switch (right side of page) and vacuum solenoid (bottom center). Any advice on how to do this would be appreciated.
    Attached Images

cox7215 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 1969 Fleetwood and I really need a vaccum line diagram could someone please scan a picture of this for me and email it so I can get this mess fixed...... Thanks Robert cox7215@yahoo.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.