Remove oilpan with the engine left in car?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Remove oilpan with the engine left in car? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Anyone know if I can remove the oilpan with the engine left in car? The car is a DeVille HT ...
    Pjotr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac SDV 1968

Remove oilpan with the engine left in car?

Anyone know if I can remove the oilpan with the engine left in car? The car is a DeVille HT 1968.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Angela Desmond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Remove oilpan with the engine left in car?

It usually depends on if there is a frame crossmember in the way of dropping the pan. It's a pain in the neck on Chevys when that darn rear main oil seal goes and the pan needs to be dropped. I'm not sure if there's a crossmember in your model year; the '79s I know had one.Even if there is a frame in the way, the engine usually just needs to be lifted up a bit for the pan to clear the frame.

Now I know it the hard way, of course I could forced it, but to get it there again in one piece and with seals, Never!

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

Nope you shouldnt have any trouble at all getting it off. You will need to pop off some steering components to drop it and slide it back and your all set.

JTraik: Have you done it?

I removed all the steering components so it was free way down. If the oilpan have been 5mm shorter, no problems. But now the flexplate was in it's way.
    And the engine was lifted up a bit.

Excuase me again for my bad english.

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

No i havent done it, but i had mine on the lift and i figure i would give it a quick look for ya. Now you say you lifted the engine? Like unbolted the mounts? Before you did that i would have made sure that you have tried every other way. I had the hardest time...about 5 hours worth...of getting the bolt holes lined back up with the mounts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.