500ci block overheating... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 500ci block overheating... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Where would I stick a mechanical temp. gauge on the block? And lower radiator hose has a spring, I'm running ...
    JvS
    JvS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 500ci block overheating...

Where would I stick a mechanical temp. gauge on the block? And lower radiator hose has a spring, I'm running a brand new starter and battery, and the fan doesn't have a clutch, the blades flex. Pretty frustrating . I'll keep at it (first real project car, have plenty of time for it while I find a job since I'm outta school now)

Imprl59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

If its just temporary you can run the engine up to normal operating temp with the radiator cap off and the bulb dropped down in the radiator. You can also remove the standard temp sending unit and plumb it in there... They come with several fitting but last time I did this on a different brand it took a little help from Home Depot to do it. May be other places as well.. Hopefully you will more ideas from others on this forum.

Steve B.

JvS

Would a bad transmission make a block burn up by any chance? Took the pan off of it, found metal shavings in it... And it doesn't shift at all right. Transmission is being torn down, guy at the shop will get back to me with that tomorrow hopefully.Waiting on radiator details. Want to get it all out of the way before I spend even more on exhaust and tires all around .

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The tranny not being right could definitely over work the engine causing it to over-heat. Whether or not that's what is happening with yours, I couldn't really say.

JvS

radiator checked back fine . Think I'm down to transmission after checking timing and cooling. Will keep updated if it was the transmission, maybe this would help others with overheating. If it wasn't... Well, I'll still stick around and hassle you all for help

Asakha is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I would say it is the transmission, especially if it doesn't shift into 3rd... The engine just keep reeving too high, depending on the speed you were driving.

JvS

Alright... God the problem solved, finally . Turned out, when it was 'overheating' originally, was because the engine ran too hard in 2nd gear. After I put the new transmission in, I got all my gears (even my beloved reverse!) and the engine didn't seem to work as hard as it used to. My timing was retarded little, and I fixed that also. My negative cable from battery was 6gauge, and burned up, why the starter didn't work right, so I replaced that with 2gauge. Works better than ever . Thanks for the replies, led me in the right direction. Now, on to the thousand or so lights, switches and thingies in the cab.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.