Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 429 points to electronic ignition?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    51

    429 points to electronic ignition?

    Well I am a new caddy guy and I will be posting alot of questions on here and I appreciate the help and input. Im gonna do a tune up a guy at work told me they make a kit or have a way to change points to an electronic ignition, he says its bout 70-80 bucks, OR he told me to get HEI or HIE from another newer 429, (High electronic iginiton or something like this) are any of these worth it, are they easy to do? thanks


  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    300

    Re: 429 points to electronic ignition?

    IMHO the points are fine. They have worked well for the last 37 years and will continue to work fine for the next 37 years. Some people like the point replacements because you no longer have to deal with replacing points but I really don't see the need myself. On my points cars I need to change the points every 10k and keep a set in the glove box for "just in case" but have never needed them. If your points do go out you can usually fix any issue with them on the side of the hiway whereas if the electronic goes out your going for a tow truck ride.

    Do you have any pictures of your car you can share with us?


    Steve B.

  4. #3
    lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,258

    Re: 429 points to electronic ignition?

    There are a few different companies that make electronic ignition conversions (MSD, Mallory, Accel etc.) that should work with your engine.
    As far as the factory HEI goes, it was never used on a 429. HEI didn't come out until '74 or '75. If you want electronic ignition, you have to use the conversion.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    51

    Re: 429 points to electronic ignition?

    Quote Originally Posted by Imprl59
    IMHO the points are fine. They have worked well for the last 37 years and will continue to work fine for the next 37 years. Some people like the point replacements because you no longer have to deal with replacing points but I really don't see the need myself. On my points cars I need to change the points every 10k and keep a set in the glove box for "just in case" but have never needed them. If your points do go out you can usually fix any issue with them on the side of the hiway whereas if the electronic goes out your going for a tow truck ride.

    Do you have any pictures of your car you can share with us?


    Steve B.
    I have a crappy pic so far, but Im not sure how to post up pics, I will also take better ones when I get the car Wed 6/22. Kinda crazy but my check didnt come until thurs, the owner left for Alaska TUes so I put 100 bux down to hold it and will pick it up when he gets back. But I cant wait woo hoo!!

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    51

    Re: 429 points to electronic ignition?

    Quote Originally Posted by lux hauler
    There are a few different companies that make electronic ignition conversions (MSD, Mallory, Accel etc.) that should work with your engine.
    As far as the factory HEI goes, it was never used on a 429. HEI didn't come out until '74 or '75. If you want electronic ignition, you have to use the conversion.
    Thanks guys for the info it helps

  7. #6
    vanaisa's Avatar
    vanaisa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): `65 DeVille Convertible´67 Eldorado,´02 DHS
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    517

    Re: 429 points to electronic ignition?

    I bought Pertronix ignition conversion kit (PNX1181) and coil (PNX40111) from Summit. In my friends car it work fine.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    51

    Re: 429 points to electronic ignition?

    Quote Originally Posted by vanaisa
    I bought Pertronix ignition conversion kit (PNX1181) and coil (PNX40111) from Summit. In my friends car it work fine.
    Hey thanks! How much are these?

  9. #8
    lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,258

    Re: 429 points to electronic ignition?

    Don't remember off hand but you can look them up on Summits web site.

  10. #9
    vanaisa's Avatar
    vanaisa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): `65 DeVille Convertible´67 Eldorado,´02 DHS
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    517

    Re: 429 points to electronic ignition?

    $31,95 was ignition coil and conversion kit was $83

  11. #10
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    51

    Re: 429 points to electronic ignition?

    Thank you, 1 more day til I pick up my new (old) caddy


Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum