Ignition Switchover - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Ignition Switchover in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Thanks much for the answers! Now for me to find a flex-socket......
    69CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Ignition Switchover

Thanks much for the answers!

Now for me to find a flex-socket...

Sasquatch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

According to the link provided by Dead Sled, the resistance wire must be replaced. Not saying one way or the other just pointing out that this is what is said in these install directions. I did replace mine. Here's the link. http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/hei.htm

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Everything I've ever read on the subject said to replace the original wire.

BluEyes is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1970 Sedan deVille hardtop

Definately replace the resistance wire. HEI's have an electronic module in them to run the ignition that is designed to run on 12V. Lots of people have had problems after a HEI conversion due to not replacing the resistance wire. If you've gotten away with not doing it, I'd say you're lucky, but you probably aren't getting the full benefit of electronic ignition.

Also, don't go to 0.060" gap unless you've got an aftermarket coil and module in there that tells you to. The factory stock gap for HEI is 0.045". That's 50% more than the gap for a points distributor. That extra gap, and the fact that HEI changes the dwell based on RPM should give you more than enough gains.

Oh, and the distributor hold-down nut is 9/16" IIRC. Yeah, it is in a PITA location - even my distributor wrench doesn't reach it well.

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Theroetically, with a significantly reduced load it wouldnt be a problem. However, in practice, I can't say for sure wether or not the load is dropped to the point that leaving the wire affects it or not. Checking is easy enough, With the motor running, measure the voltage at the BAT terminal of the HEI connected through the resistor wire. If you see full voltage, your good to go. I just suspect that you wouldn't. Even the old points styles had the resistor bypass for that extra "kick in the arse" during cranking. It's easy enough to bypass too, IIRC the wiper feed works well on '68s (I think thats what I used...) Looked at the diagram, and it was hot during cranking as well as run.

BluEyes is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1970 Sedan deVille hardtop

I'm used to them using the third terminal on the starter for the +12V during cranking on points.

I've tested voltage at the coil on several points cars with the ignition in 'run' but the motor off, and they've all been around 6V even with no load.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

If you measured 6 Volts then there must have been a Voltage drop in the resistor. In order for a resistor to drop Voltage, there has to be a load. I=V/R.
    Your measurement was probably taken with the points closed and current flowing through the coil primary. You should have measured very close to battery Voltage without a load.

Here's a pic of my 472 in my hearse with the new HEI ignition. (Notice the skull air breather nut) Also included one of my custom gas cap I made.

Smoking Tire is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Angry Re: Ignition Switchover

You are a dumbass ***. 1st of all why put an HEI in a 1969 Cadillac instead of buying a breakerless ignition kit that fits right inside the distributor for a stock appearance and a higher voltage ignition coil??? You reduced the value big time. 2ndly you have no respect for the dead people that once rode in the hearse to put a skull gas cap, breather and an Edelbrock air filter and other junk like a wierd power steering pump and god knows what else. Then on top of that you're a general idiot that dont know shit about cars, when you modify any car it reduces the value badly and that is what you did. Edelbrock is for racing cars not classic's you dumbass. What have you been smoking and drinking huh??? :drinker Humanoid bastards like you make me sick. Bye butt pirate.

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Smoking Tire
    You are a dumbass ***. 1st of all why put an HEI in a 1969 Cadillac instead of buying a breakerless ignition kit that fits right inside the distributor for a stock appearance and a higher voltage ignition coil??? You reduced the value big time. 2ndly you have no respect for the dead people that once rode in the hearse to put a skull gas cap, breather and an Edelbrock air filter and other junk like a wierd power steering pump and god knows what else. Then on top of that you're a general idiot that dont know shit about cars, when you modify any car it reduces the value badly and that is what you did. Edelbrock is for racing cars not classic's you dumbass. What have you been smoking and drinking huh??? :drinker Humanoid bastards like you make me sick. Bye butt pirate.
    Troll......
    BTW, someone correct me if I'm incorrect but isn't that power steering pump original to a hearse and used somehow with the suspension? If I am correct, it would seem that it's Smoking Tire that's "a general idiot that dont know shit about cars".:rolleyes2

I think his name should be smoking pole. That is not a power steering pump dumbass it's a hydraulic pump for the stock leveling system in the car. Why buy a "kit " for my dist. When I can have the real thing. Anytime you wanna meet up I'll be more than happy to stomp a hole in your ass. Go back to playing with your hotwheels.

Colt D is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 Deville Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Here's a pic of my 472 in my hearse with the new HEI ignition. (Notice the skull air breather nut) Also included one of my custom gas cap I made.
    Sasquatch, nice pic. I know the thread is a bit old, but I have a question on your Driv. Side valve cover breather. How is your breather hose hooked up? Did you tee it to the PCV line going to the carb? I have an Eddy carb too, (68 Deville) but I'm using the stock cleaner. Because of the height difference, the stock breather won't plug into the cleaner, so I bought an aftermarket open air breather. I'd rather try to capture some of the combustion gasses to reduce the gas smell, but I don't want to suck up oil into the manifold in the process. Please let me know. Brands, part numbers, and hose sizes would also help.

(I love your skull air cleaner nut)

Okay I took some pictures. The driver side valve cover is where the engine draws in air. I think from the previous pics it appears that I have this Edelbrock Oil breather connected to the air breather like the stock set up. As you can see this is not the case from the side view. Since this is where the engine draws IN air you have the option to allow it to draw the air in this fashion. When the gases escape from the left side valve cover they are fed into the Carb. at the front and then burned off through the manifold along with the air gas mixture. The Edelbrock Oil breather would not fit the stock 472 Valve covers. So I had to cut the hole bigger in the right side valve cover in order to accept the 1 1/4" neck of the Edelbrock Oil Breather. I've included pics of the valve cover with the grommet in and out. I also had to use a different rubber grommet now since the hole was a different size. After some experimentation with a few different ones the best fit I found was the one in the picture of the packaging it came in. The valve cover did have to be removed to cut the hole bigger. I used a hole saw but if I had it to do again I think a Dremel tool would work better. The number on the package is 42324 (for Ford and Mercury) and was obtained at Advanced Discount Auto parts. I did have to shave some rubber out from the inside of it but the Edelbrock Oil Breather fits very snuggly now and I have had no problems. Those black lines running behind the Oil Breather are part of the LEV-L-MATIC system in the car for loading and unloading caskets. Hope this helps.

Colt D is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 Deville Convertible

Thanks for the details. Yes, the Lev-L Matic hoses were misleading. If the D's Side just takes in air, I'm probably OK. Except my gas smell must now be from a leak in the fuel line. I'll check when its not 114* outside.

For my breather, I used an off-brand (possibly Mr. Gasket) breather that fit the stock valve cleaner perfectly. I bought it at Checker Auto in the chrome aisle. It's not stamped, just basic chrome and not as tall as the Edelbrock breather. Otherwise, it looks the same. Next time I'm there, I'll get the model number and post in case anybody is interested.

BTW, did you ever rig up your factory kick down to work with your Eddy Carb, or did you just leave it off? I worry about taking the car out of town w/o the ability to auto downshift for passing as well as for steep grades.

Yeah I saw those oil breathers as well. I just wanted the Edelbrock one to match the air breather. I never did anything to my kickdown. My tranny still kicks down. I believe it is due to the vac. line running to the tranny modulator. Anybody else wanna weigh in on this. I know when I put the pedal down the car will downshift on it's own.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.