472 Color combo...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 472 Color combo... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Im doing a little blastin and painting on the engine parts. Im going to spray all the pulleys black but ...
    JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

472 Color combo...

Im doing a little blastin and painting on the engine parts. Im going to spray all the pulleys black but i wasnt sure what the original color of the water pump was. Im hearin it was the GM blue but i think it was black???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C-Rad is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 472 Color combo...

Did you ever end up findingo anything on this? I'm trying to locate resources for the original engine appearance for my '69 DeVille 472 (component colors, etc...).

Quote Originally Posted by C-Rad
    Did you ever end up findingo anything on this? I'm trying to locate resources for the original engine appearance for my '69 DeVille 472 (component colors, etc...).
    Well yeah... sort of figured it out for myself. I had to bring my blue oil breather to an automotive shop and they matched it up and sold me a pint of that blue for 50 bones

So that blue goes on the valve covers....brackets...i did my water pump in it...timing plate....oil pan....oil breather

Things i did black....smog pump pulley...pulley on the crank....PS pump and pulley...water pump pulley....all the nuts and bolts...the air cleaner top is gold with a black snorkel...

I die ground my master cylinder cap to a shiny metal...fan stays just shiny metal.

I have everything right so far except that im not sure on the color of the pump. I sandblasted the one i had on there...got sand in it so i bought a new one...it came blasted (or so it seemed) so im not sure on that.

Distrib is black...block..is blue i think...exhaust manifold isnt painted i think. Plug wires are black with orange sockets...

I think thats everything for now. And of course the compartment is black.

Right On! Thanks. When you say you're not sure on the color of the pump, which pump are you talking about?

Water pump sorry.

Just so you know...the blue that you will find on the shelves that is marked GM Blue or Chevy Blue....they are NOT the correct blues. I just see too many pictures of these cars with the wrong blue...and i know they went with a ford blue or one of those i just listed! Just wanted to let you know if you want to keep this car as original as you can! :coolgleam

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

VHT makes a Cadillac blue (p/n SP-140, I believe). It's not exact.....but pretty close. Maximum Torque Specialties also sells one that is supposed to be an exact match but if I remember correctly, it's also about three times the price.
    BTW....if you look in the picture section, I have some pics of my engine painted with the VHT engine paint. The flash made some of the pictures look alot lighter than they actually are though.

Bill Hirsch lists a "Cadillac Blue (Dark) - 1949-76" in their add in Hemmings $31/qt. Actually, this is my very 1st restoration, and I've never painted an engine before. Anybody have any resources I can read on the proper way to do it? Thanks. I'm gonna check out those pictures now...

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

yes, Cadillac blue and the GM corperate blue that was used in the late 70's are not the same color...

The last year for the Cadillac dark blue was '76. The 425 in '77 started the corporate blue.....it was more of a powder blue.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Rad
    Bill Hirsch lists a "Cadillac Blue (Dark) - 1949-76" in their add in Hemmings $31/qt. Actually, this is my very 1st restoration, and I've never painted an engine before. Anybody have any resources I can read on the proper way to do it? Thanks. I'm gonna check out those pictures now...
    Not really much to it. My machine shop primed my block before painting it but I'm not sure that that is really necessary. Just make sure that the surfaces to be painted are free of dirt and grease. The stuff I used was in a spray can......just shake, point and shoot. How well it'll hold up, I can't say. I guess I'll find out when my engine goes in the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by lux hauler
    Not really much to it. My machine shop primed my block before painting it but I'm not sure that that is really necessary. Just make sure that the surfaces to be painted are free of dirt and grease. The stuff I used was in a spray can......just shake, point and shoot. How well it'll hold up, I can't say. I guess I'll find out when my engine goes in the truck.
    Well what should be done for it to last was i just took everything off and sandblasted it. Put a coat of primer and a few shots of the coloured semi gloss. If you plan on doing the block, freakin make sure all those holes are plugged up if your gonna blast it!!!! Making sure its clean and just spraying it will get by...but it wont last especially on the parts that experience a great deal of heat. I wouldnt bother repainting the water pump, just go down to advance and pick a new one up for 50 bucks.

This is only if you want to do a proper job. My dad was doing it with me and hes pretty anal about doing things the right way so i ended up putting ALL of my bolts that i removed into the parts cleaner (with hard media) then primed all of them and semi glossed them! VERY frustrating when you just wanna drive the thing, but im happy i did that now because it looks really good.

As far as the correct blue, you should be able to bring a piece of the engine with the paint (i used the oil breather) and then they analyze a chip of it and have the computer do all the mixing. Mine is right on! And in cans! Pricey BUT correct!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.