Smoke coming out of spark plug?????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Smoke coming out of spark plug????? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I just got my '81 Sedan DeVille home today! There are only a few things wrong with the car, I ...
    rollerz70 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Smoke coming out of spark plug?????

I just got my '81 Sedan DeVille home today! There are only a few things wrong with the car, I only paid $400 for it though so I'm not mad. After I got it home I popped the hood to see if there was anything going wrong in under the hood. The only thing I noticed was there was a little bit of smoke coming from around a spark plug. It's on the drivers side, and second closest to the firewall. It's not a lot of smoke, just a little. I haven't got time today to take it out and see if there's oil on the spark plug, so I was wondering if anyone had any idea's I'd really appericate it. Thanks. Oh also both the passenger side doors won't open from either the inside or outside. How do I get them open to figure out why there not working right? Thanks again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Smoke coming out of spark plug?????

Don't really have any ideas on the doors (unless you can get the interior panel off) but on the smoke......I'd say the valve cover is probably leaking oil on to the plug.

MMNineInchNails is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Are you positive it's coming from the spark plug? Maybe it's some odd exhaust leak that looks like it's coming from the spark plug.

rollerz70 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

It's coming from around the base of the spark plug. There is a small amount of oil by the plug. Today I am going to take the plug out and look further into it. I'm sure that I can figure it out today. Thanks.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

I would assume its the valve covers leaking a tad bit. I wouldnt worry about it much, IMHO.

The doors: Something is obviously broken. Only way to find out is to take off the door panel and see what you can do.....

TheCanadianWannabe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Feisty Doors

The same thing happened to the drivers door on my 68 Sedan Deville. Because the panels are not very fun to get off the doors when they're closed what I ended up doing was just spending a half hour with a coat hanger trying to feel where the lock rod was and pulling up every time I felt something. In case you've never jimmied a car door, you just slide the coat hanger (or slim jim) down along the window glass on the outside of the door just above the key cylinder. If you're using a coat hanger, just cut off the part where it was twisted together and bend the end into a very small (1/4 in.) hook or L shape. The doors are obviously locked if they don't open, so try and snake something in there to undo the lock right where it hooks up to the door-strike. It worked for me. Or you can just call a locksmith but I think you can handle it. If anybody has anything else to add as far as jimming car doors goes, I'm all ears/eyes. As for the plugs, I'm sure that's not actually where the smoke is coming from. Good Luck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.