Electronic Ignition for '68 472
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Electronic Ignition for '68 472 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi All, I just bought a '68 with a 472 and want to put an electronic ignition in it. Can ...
    greenkp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Electronic Ignition for '68 472

Hi All,

I just bought a '68 with a 472 and want to put an electronic ignition in it. Can anyone tell who makes 'em and where to get one? Also who's got the biggest selection of original parts? Performance parts?

Thanks!
    Keith

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Electronic Ignition for '68 472

You can use a factory HEI from any 472/500......I believe they started using them in '74 or you can do a conversion. Pertronix and Accel make conversion kits. They probably won't list one for the Caddy but one for a 70's Chevy is what I got. MSD also make a distributor for the BB Cad. You can pick those up from Summit or Jegs.

As for parts.......I prefer NAPA for replacement, mechanical parts and there are a few different vendors for performance parts......just depends on what you're looking for and where you are.

Sasquatch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

lux how are those pertronix conversion kits? Any good or better off going with a stock HEI?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    lux how are those pertronix conversion kits? Any good or better off going with a stock HEI?
    I've heard nothing but good about them.
    The conversion itself was easy but I can't tell you for sure that it's as good as I've heard.......my engine is STILL on the stand in my garage. I really should get off my butt and get to work on it.

lux, did you change out the coil also with one of petronix's? Think I may go this route. Sounds easier then pulling the whole distributor.

Yeah, I have their coil too.

You still have to pull the dist.......well, I guess you don't HAVE to but it'll make it a whole lot easier. Once the wires are disconnected/removed, the only thing left to do is remove the dist hold-down clamp and pull it out. Just note "what is pointing where" so you'll know how to put it back in.

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

When I installed my Pertronix, I found that i didnt really need to shim the distributor gear, because I test fitted it by replacing the points with the module, and the rotor back with the magnet ring, and it fit, was within clearances, and didnt have excessive play. distributor didnt even need to come out.

What about re-gaping the plugs? Is that necessary? How about the plug wires? Do I need to replace with some that will carry the higher voltage. I just put new ones on about 4 weeks ago can't remember the name but got them from Autozone for around twenty bucks or so. They came pre made in a box. Were the ones for the Fleetwood Seventy five.

I haven't read up on the plug gap yet but I will and get back with you.
    Personally, I'd replace the wires with a name brand performance type. No need to have one part that may be marginal in performance and the rest set up for high performance. I have the MSD 8.5mm wires.

voodoo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey Lux, How much money do you have invested in converting your dist. and did you build your engine for higher RPM.

Smile Re: Electronic Ignition for '68 472

Hey All - Lux especially,

Thanks for the input. I think I'll try a post '74 BB caddy system. Are there any internet resources that might sell the complete system.

Thanks Again!
    Keith

I read through the paperwork and didn't see anything about the plug gap. I'm thinking it should be about the same as an HEI....... .050-.060.

voodoo.....I purchased a remanufactured dist. from NAPA and went from there. I don't remember exactly what I paid but an estimate would be right around $190. That price includes the cost of the dist., the Pertronix Igniter, Pertronix coil, Accel adjustable vacuum advance new cap and rotor.
    My engine may handle RPM's a little higher than stock but not much. My cam selection will keep most of the power on the low side anyhow.

greenkp....... napaonline.com should list a stock remanufacturered HEI that'll work. If you go HEI you'll have to change the wires (hei wires are different) and probably the plugs too. Just get whatever is recommended for a '75 Deville w/500.......I don't think those were computer controlled yet......?

Here's the part number for a stock, reman. HEI (for a 1975 Deville w/500 4bbl.) from NAPA.....NRD481898
    That price does not include the coil, cap, rotor, wires or plugs. Personally, I'd convert the points distributor.....or you could try to find a good HEI in a junkyard. The HEI will require some ignition wire changes also......nothing complicated but something you don't have to do with the "points to electronic" conversion.

Thanks Lux!

That will be my first spring project.

Thanks again.
    Keith

Scout is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a lot of experience with these items.

What ever you get make sure that the bushings aren't worn out. I don't like to see more then .002 lateral play.

As far as the HEI module, Pertronix, or MSD I don't think you'll notice that much performance difference with low RPM motors (i.e. 472/500's). You may notice slightly quicker starting with the MSD.

If you are on a budget my recommendation is to find a good HEI from a junkyard. You may have to pull several before you find one with good bushings. While you're out there pick up some extra HEI modules so you have a spare. Pull the dist. apart. and clean it up. Especially the centrifugal advance. Buy a new coil, cap and rotor. If you're willing to spend the time dialing in an advance curve then the adjustable vacuum advance and spring/weight kit is well worth it. That's it. Maybe $75-100 total and you'll be very pleased with the performance.

If you have some extra money all the top electronic ignitions (Crane, MSD, Holley, etc.) can be triggered directly from the HEI pickup coil. In other words you don't need the HEI module just the HEI dist.

Scout

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.