driving water pump with no smog pump?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, driving water pump with no smog pump? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My smog pump was locked up and i threw it in the trash , now I need a way to ...
    voodoo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

driving water pump with no smog pump?

My smog pump was locked up and i threw it in the trash , now I need a way to drive the water pump because- smog pump was the tensioner . The engine in question is a 1968 cadillac 472. I have two belts going from drive pulley to A/c to power steering. Then one belt going from water pump to the generator. = no drive pully to water pump or generator. Should I buy a new smog pump? or is there a simple sulliotion? I REALLY DONT WANT A SMOG . NEED ANSERS?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: driving water pump with no smog pump?

I got a set of Caddy 425 ('77-'79) pulleys (crank and water pump). I haven't installed them yet but that's supposed to correct the problem. If you go that route, you might want to get the timing pointer from the 425 too. The old one won't work with the newer pulley.

I will look for that pully configeration. Thanks Lux, You and Angela have helped me alot I greatly appreciate it. Untill I can find the pullys I got a belt to go from crank to water pump - no tensioner. Talk about hard to get on, dont worry I took the coil wire off to avoid finger loss. HA HA

ronesr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a complete '68 472 sitting in my storage shed and I don't believe it has a smogger on it. I will check tomorrow and get back to you about the belt setup. If I forget, (senior moment ), email me at: ronesr@aol.com and I will respond. :drinker Ron

devillemark is offline Cadillac Owners Member

hmmm, I kicked out smog and A/C on my '70 472. No problem with the belts. Take a look at the pictures I took, maybe they can help you.

Markus

http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10684&password=

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ronesr
    I have a complete '68 472 sitting in my storage shed and I don't believe it has a smogger on it. I will check tomorrow and get back to you about the belt setup. If I forget, (senior moment ), email me at: ronesr@aol.com and I will respond. :drinker Ron
    I believe his car was built to be sold new in California. California always gets different smog stuff.

Thanks so much guys & girls. All the info helps alot. all you people are greatest. p.s. so far the belt from crank to water pump is holding up. I took the car for a spin, and the front wheel locked up screaching all the way home,and I still was grinning from ear to ear feeling like a million bucks. Everybody else thought I was an ass hat- but who cares. HA HA:coolgleam

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.