72 deville knock + pulsating lights
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 72 deville knock + pulsating lights in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i have a 72 deville, and when i start it up it knocks about twice every second, and the knocking ...
    billsif is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1972 Sedan Deville

72 deville knock + pulsating lights

i have a 72 deville, and when i start it up it knocks about twice every second, and the knocking seems to correspond to engine rpm at idle.

also my interior lights, headlights, and any other lights on my car pulsate twice every second at idle, and the pulsations are exactly in synch with the knocking sound.

if i tap the gas at idle the knocking sound usually (always?) goes away, and for example, my radio lights will stop pulsating, but my headlights will not.

if i accelerate the knocking sound usually (always?) goes away and the same thing with the headlights and interior lights and radio lights.

if i'm at high rpms you cant hear the knocking over the noise of the engine so im not sure if it's there or not, but any time my foot is on the gas pedal i believe it's not knocking.

also one time i was driving and put the car in park and mysteriously the headlights weren't flashing!

someone told me the light problem could be a voltage regulator (which i think is internal on my car) or a diode in the alternator, but would the knocking sound , which sounds possibly like a hard tap , be associated with a diode gone bad or a bad voltage regulator? im convinced these two problems are caused by the same thing - i just cant figure out what it is.

if anyone has any ideas, please respond.

thanks,
    bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Imprl59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 72 deville knock + pulsating lights

The pulsating lights are probably caused by a bad diode in the alternator. Easiest just to replace it with a rebuilt, but you can get the diodes and install them yourself if you are so inclined.

I can't help you with the knocking sound... Could be anything from main bearings to a water pump...

Steve B.

billsif is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1972 Sedan Deville

is there some reason why you think these two things are not related?

i understand that its easier to explain one and not the other, but am i crazy to think they have something to do with each other when theyre exactly in synch?

thanks,
    bill

p.s. where would i just get diodes for the alternator?

Imprl59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by billsif
    is there some reason why you think these two things are not related? i understand that its easier to explain one and not the other, but am i crazy to think they have something to do with each other when theyre exactly in synch?

p.s. where would i just get diodes for the alternator?
    No you aren't crazy to think they are related. I just can't hear the knock and there are a bunch of things that could possibly make a knocking noise. I would rather tell you I don't know than suggest you replace a piece that turns out not to be the problem.

You can get the alternator diodes at many parts stores. They sell alternator rebuild kits that have new brushes, bearings and diodes in of those nifty shrink packs that God himself can't get open. Personally I would just but the rebuilt for the warranty.

Steve B.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.