472 compression test
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 472 compression test in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I bought a 1967 cadillac deville convt. that im trying to restore for $950.00 it has a 1968 472 cid ...
    voodoo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

472 compression test

I bought a 1967 cadillac deville convt. that im trying to restore for $950.00 it has a 1968 472 cid in it ,and I also got the original 429 in pieces. I have worked on the 472 trying to get it to run with no luck , so I ran a compression test and going from front to back on drivers side I got 50,50,40,95 and pass side going from front to back I got 64,55,40,55. I was wanting some advice on what you think about this and what I should do. I want to get max h/p and tourqe for this car. Any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dead Sled is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 472 compression test

whats your budget for the engine? do you want to work with what you got or take it our machine it and rebuild it and start from scratch?

I would like to spend about $1500 at most all cost included on engine. also does any body know if there is a gear drive set up for 472.

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

No gear drive. You have two choices for a timing set.....either stock or Cloyes has a really nice roller set. From what I've heard, the Cloyes is money well spent.

$1500 will probably get you a stock re-build depending on what it needs.

Performance builds on these engines can get pricey. It's not necessarily the labor or machine work but the parts. Check my thread about my 500 build. It'll give you an idea of what a mild performance build can cost. There are some places that I spent too much money. I could have saved close to 8 or 900 if I had planned things a little better.

Below is the link to the thread about my engine build.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=2736

Hey guys. I looked in the PAW catalog and found a racing master rebuild kit. for $ 1600.00 alot more than I wanted to spend but, if your going to do something- do it the way you want it the first time. Right? I know after machine work, head work and mis. bull$hit it will dig into my chasing the g-string at the bar budget. but she never knew my name the next day anyway. YOU GUYS ARE GREAT. thanks

Imprl59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo
    Hey guys. I looked in the PAW catalog and found a racing master rebuild kit. for $ 1600.00 alot more than I wanted to spend but, if your going to do something- do it the way you want it the first time. Right? I know after machine work, head work and mis. bull$hit it will dig into my chasing the g-string at the bar budget. but she never knew my name the next day anyway. YOU GUYS ARE GREAT. thanks
    You are exactly right that you shuold do it the way you want the first time. I've gotten stuck a couple times doing it the way that was most affordable instead of the way that I wanted it. In both cases I ended up selling the car because although it was very good it was never what I thought it could have been.

Look at the info from Lux Hauler. He has built a heck of a motor.

Steve B.

Angela Desmond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Try your comp. test again, this time put about 2 or 3 teaspoons of motor oil, a little heavy like 50 weight if you have it, down the spark plug hole first. If the readings stay the same you're losing comp. through the head gasket of valves. If the readings go up, it's probably piston rings.Either way, it's been my experience, that if you want a rebuild that will last you over 100k miles, spend the money on the machine shop work, it's money well spent...

Hey guys, LIke I say you guys are great. I did check out his build and I bet it runs like a scalded cat. I will try the oil in the spark plug holes , I hope it helps. Thanks alot all your help is greatly apprecieated.

I put some oil in the spark plug holes and the compression raised. going from front to back on drivers side 112,90,50,100 and from front to back on pass. side 85,80,80,115. Who knows maybe if I can get to run for a while then change the oil it might come up a little more. Thanks so much. IT may run again with a little tender loving care. YOU GUYS ARE THE GREATEST. THANKS AGAIN

The oil you poured down creates a seal between the cylinder wall and the piston rings. So if the readings went up, you most probably have bad rings.Changing the oil will do nothing to help your problem. You need rings kid....

SHE'S ALIVE!!! I did a few things and it runs. I put desiel fuel in the spark plug holes to help the rings free up and and then did oil the same way, that seated the rings. still not enough compression. I always heard a weird noise when ever i turned the engine over. sounded like a boat motor. I traced the noise to valve covers, removed them and discovered a stuck valve and a bent push rod, a hammer and a new push rod -still not much compression , pulled oil filter and it was dry. primed the oil pump . tund it over untill oil pressure raised enough to work lifters ... DAM THING STARTED AND SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME!! I didnt expect that to happen. Thanks so much for all the help. You guys helped bring another one from the dead.

TheCanadianWannabe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs up vodoo is the man!!

Great thread voodoo, it makes me wonder what kind of intresting things might happen when I finally try to fire mine up. Speaking of which, how much will vacuum affect wheter or not a 472 ('68) will start or not start. All my vacuum lines coming out of the firewall are burnt and I'm wondering if I should tackle this problem before attempting to kick it over.

Im not a very good mechanic,still learning. but I do know the distrib needs vacume, it goes to front passanger side of carb. What is your project car?

TheCanadianWannabe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

distributor needs vacuum

I didn't know the distributor needed vacuum, I was wondering what that vaccum spigot on the carb was for. The project car is a 1968 Sedan Deville Hardtop. The story: The man I bought the car from had pulled the original engine because there was some type of fire in the engine bay. He didn't know the cause of the fire and therefore neither do I. He lowered in another one from a '68 coupe de ville, but hadn't hooked anything up when he got involoved in other projects. Come spring he needed the room on his property so he put it up for sale. I bought it as is. So far I've hooked up most of the usual stuff that gets un-hooked for an engine swap. The last two things on my list before I attempt to start it are electrical (old wiring harness was burnt) and vacuum lines. The electrical is pretty daunting on it's own so if I didn't have to worry about the vacuum stuff too much that would be nice. If you're anything like me there are most likely times where you wish you were working on a car with it's original engine, but hey a convertible's a convertible right. And $950 is a good chunk of change less than the $1200 I paid for mine. Thanks again for the post.

A lot of racers don't bother with vacuum advance at all. I ran a Mallory Unilite with only mechanical advance for years on a chevy small block, but you don't get as good gas milage at cruise speeds. You can start the car without the vacuum advance, just bump up the timing about 4 or 5 degrees and it should idle fine. Just remember to plug up the vacuum source or you'll have a leak.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.