472 compression test - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 472 compression test in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey Canadiankid . Im still trying to put wires and vacume lines back hope I can get it all right. ...
    voodoo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 472 compression test

Hey Canadiankid . Im still trying to put wires and vacume lines back hope I can get it all right. Im sure glad to have guys like Lux and Angela to ask questions, those guys know there caddys. Mine wouldnt be running yet without them. I also put a manual choke 750 cfm Edelbrock carb on, this dosnt help vacume line hunting. I also have a electrical device on the drivers side of transmission that I cant find a wire for? Im going for the first test drive tomarrow probally wont shift? Who knows. Anyway we have great taste in classic cars . Good Luck with your classic machine.

TheCanadianWannabe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

vodoo: still the man.

Thanks voodoo, same to you. And remember, Cadillac ownership is an instant liscence to use the word "FUGEDDABAWDIT" all the time.

Angela Desmond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Sorry to disappoint you,I'm not a "guy"...Unless you call everyone "Guy"...And I grew up and lived most of my life in Brooklyn N.Y. ,where EVERYBODY says " FUGGETABOWDIT"..(I'm still guilty of saying it)

Sorry Angela, I guess I just assumed you were a guy. I really feel like an ass. I hope your not mad. I really appreciate all the help you gave me. I took the caddy for a test drive today, the engine ran like a champ- but the car haddent been driven in so long the front wheel locked up. went through the tire and the spair. Going to buy all new brake parts as soon as my funds come together. I also have a leeking power steering hose. But it felt great to go out in wind even with all the little problems. P.S. are you hot!!

Not mad at all...Hot, I guess, but married...look like an old Goldie Hawn; that fixes cars..

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Desmond
    Not mad at all...Hot, I guess, but married...look like an old Goldie Hawn; that fixes cars..
    and a former pro-boxer

Angela- hey your hot , look like Goldie Hawn, can fix cars, like caddys, and can kick ass as a boxer. You Are The Greatest Women In The World! To bad your married. I used to box a little here in Indianapolis- wasnt a pro-but it was alot of fun= when I won. HELL YA!! U THE GREATEST.

thanks guys...

catman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

By the way, just a silly question, but I don't know the answer for sure: what is the compression number being searched?

I've allways heard of different values, but never have I actually read or hear anyone say "XX is the correct compression for such an engine"...

That's a damn good question; in this case, I think if it's in the 115 range it should be OK. I believe it's more important that they are all in the same area, as long as it's not stupid low, like 70PSI or something. If they were all 70PSI I'd guess it was a blown head gasket....Naturally, if the comp. ratio is high, the PSI will be high, but I don't know if there is a mathimatical equation for figuring PSI from the comp. ratio. I'll e-mail someone I know that's a whiz with auto-math and see if there is one.

Talking Re: 472 compression test

I was going to put a picture of my car on here, does anyone know how to do this? I know you most likely dont give a dam what my car looks like, but im prowd of it.

I can't help Voodoo with the pics, I'm computer illiterate, but i did get an answer for Catman. There is no exact formula because there are too many variables, like cranking speed of the engine, oil pressure at cranking speed, cam duration, etc... Generally, stock motors are around 100PSI, slightly modified 110 to 140, all out motors can be over 140 and I was told it's been seen as high as 240PSI...So it's more important That they be fairly even between cylinders and nothing more than 10 or 20PSI different in a cylinder from the other cylinders, which is pretty much what I thought in the first place. Hope that helps you a little

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.