1970 Eldorado 14,400ORIG miles (TimeCapsule)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 1970 Eldorado 14,400ORIG miles (TimeCapsule) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Guys, I'm about to drop $20,000 on the 1970 Eldorado, Cinamon Firemist, with Optional SUNROOF. Now this is the REAL ...
    BAugust is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado

Question 1970 Eldorado 14,400ORIG miles (TimeCapsule)

Guys,

I'm about to drop $20,000 on the 1970 Eldorado, Cinamon Firemist, with Optional SUNROOF. Now this is the REAL DEAL kept in Climate controlled Storage for over 30 years it is Truly Unbelievable.
    Now, as far as Performance, what did this car ORIGINALLY run in the quarter Mile, 15's?? Low 16's??

What might be my problem areas, the Radiator has been flushed several times through the years, the air was just charged and blows very cold.

Thanks in Advance!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 1970 Eldorado 14,400ORIG miles (TimeCapsule)

Quote Originally Posted by BAugust
    Guys,

I'm about to drop $20,000 on the 1970 Eldorado, Cinamon Firemist, with Optional SUNROOF. Now this is the REAL DEAL kept in Climate controlled Storage for over 30 years it is Truly Unbelievable.
    Now, as far as Performance, what did this car ORIGINALLY run in the quarter Mile, 15's?? Low 16's??

What might be my problem areas, the Radiator has been flushed several times through the years, the air was just charged and blows very cold.

Thanks in Advance!!!
    GO FOR IT it sounds like a GREAT deal

Gee ..Thanks... But what I really need are some answers to my questions on it (above)?

Guys???

Gee ..Thanks... But what I really need are some answers to my questions on it (above)?

Guys???
    ohhh sorry about that
    1/4 time would be a guess around 17ish
    now for problem areas i would look for rust on the car and cracked lines. Remove lights check under the car, check the exhaust etcc....
    hopefully someone with more knowledge will chyme in

Quote Originally Posted by JJhomer83
    hopefully someone with more knowledge will chyme in
    Not to be unappreciative, but yes. And as far as RUST, no one would shell out 20k without seeing DOZENS of digital photo's of the Undercarriage as well as every other Nook & Cranny of the car, which is SHOWROOM quality. As far as 1/4 mile times, this year 1970 ELDORADO is held up as the QUICKEST of ALL
    the older Cadillacs, so I would HOPE its AT LEAST a high 15, if not faster!!

Anyone?? Bueller??

1979 Cadillac Eldorado (Gas) 1/4 = 17.9

not what your look for but this is what i found

Imprl59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Your in the right neighborhood for performance specs. I can't find any specs online but it is a damn fast car for a luxury liner.

Things to worry about:
    Gas tank - Probably full of crud. I would pull it and have it boiled out.

Rubber gas lines - Current fuel specs will make quick work of old rubber lines and fuel pumps. Go ahead and replace them with current spec rubber.

Rubber on the engine - Replace all the vacuum lines hoses and belts. Age will be getting to them.

Gaskets - The gaskets will probably start leaking as soon as it goes back in service.

Freeze plugs - If the engine didn't have fresh antifreeze in it all these years the freeze plugs will rust. They could bust out when you get going.

The shaft seal on the compressor will probably die in short order. You can have just the seal replaced when/if it goes out.

I would change the tranny fluid and the differential fluid.

Brakes will also be a sore spot if it wasnt driven on a regular basis. Count on new MC, wheel cylinders/calipers and new rubber hoses.

After doing this several times I would say count on spending another 2k getting it ready to go and you should easily be ready to go for another 100k after that. Sounds like a beautiful car. Please put some pics up on the web and let us know where they are when you can.

Steve B.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Imprl59 just made a post worthy of the #1 spot in the FAQ.

Can I get an Amen?

ThomasO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

AMEN

Quote Originally Posted by JJhomer83
    1979 Cadillac Eldorado (Gas) 1/4 = 17.9

not what your look for but this is what i found
    Great, but mines a 70 NOT 79!!!!!!!!! "Should be more like a 15.8-16.2 with the 400hp!

So.....ANYONE KNOW!!

By the way, thanks Imprl59, thats EXACTLY what I was looking for! Pics coming shortly!

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Well, a 70 Eldorado weighs 4630 pounds, and has a high compression 500. Cad company got 323hp and 504 ft.lbs torque from a bone stock high compression 500. The 400hp/550ft.lb claim was inflated quite a bit because they didn't really have a standard way of calculating power until I think it was 73.

I don't know how reliable any of the online 1/4 mile ET calculators are, but most say you're looking at a mid-high 15 second 1/4.

Why would anybody want to take this car, a $20,000., mint condition, 4,000 lb., 1970 Cadillac, to a dragstrip and beat hell out of it?
    Guys,

Thanks in Advance!!!

MMNineInchNails is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

because it's badass.
    Attached Images

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Sounds like a beauty. When my Dad sold his 11,000 mile 1971 442 w-30 Olds, the only thing that happened was the waterpump gasket becomming brittle and cracking up with old age causing a bad leak. It STILL has the original firestone Wide O Ovals on it! So some rubber seems to stand the test of time. (safety may be another factor) All of my Dad's cars are fairly low mileage, and as long as it was ran and possible driven every so-often it might be ok. there are no guarentees.

I am curious if you have the original tires, hoses, etc on it if you buy it. Something like this could be in a museum, so don't race it, worship it! It is an important part of automotive history that will likely NEVER be found again in this condition! If you feel the need to go racing, I hope you buy a Trans Am to beat the crap out of.

OH! I see. Well that makes since. Thanks NIN for the enlightenment. .
    Quote Originally Posted by MMNineInchNails
    because it's badass.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.