1971 472 Ignition swap to HEI
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 1971 472 Ignition swap to HEI in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello everyone, this is my first post. I just re-purchased my 71 coupe D from my uncle. I sold it ...
    fsglover is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Coupe De Ville

1971 472 Ignition swap to HEI

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I just re-purchased my 71 coupe D from my uncle. I sold it to him in 1995 for $700.00 (beer money). I told him I was looking for something to tinker with the other day, and well you know. He put a new set of tires, reworked distr., new fuel pump. and drove it on weekends for the last 12 years. Sold it back to me for $ 700.00 . I put a new thermostat, tightened belts, then had to rebuild power steering pump gaskets, checked plugs- good, replaced wires. The car runs somewhat smooth (running rich) as long as you ease into it. Once you get on it, it bogs down. I have read that replacing the points with HEI really helps. Also what about the clearance with the belts. Thanks for any replies.Scott

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MrEightball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado Fleetwood

Re: 1971 472 Ignition swap to HEI

I have the same problem with my 1970 Eldorado. When taking off from a dead stop, it bogs at off-idle. But it is fine once I get going. I can tromp on it and it will accelerate great. It's only getting from idle to driving. Tap the gas and it starts to die. Too lean? Too rich? Or something else?

My carb was leaking a lot and I suspected that my accelerator pump diaphragm may have been bad. But once I got it apart, it was actually fine (although there were a couple of things needing to be replaced). So I'm now looking for something else to point the finger at.

I'm also interested in converting to HEI, mostly because I don't want to deal with the finickey nature of points and changing them every year.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

If you want to put in a HEI, to keep the belt from rubbing the distrubtor cap, the best thing to do is use 425 pulleys,,, the crank pulley and water pump pulley...you will have to change the air conditioning pulley with the bearing..changing these will let you get rid of the air pump if you have one.Or you can just leave the iner belt off the air and power steering pump..might slip if you do that...on your other problem, sounds like a carb problem...

fsglover is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Coupe De Ville

Mr. Eightball , I tried to send you a PM but they said I had to have at least 20 posts I adjusted my carb (turned the screws all the way in , then backed off 2 turns. Went to my dads checked timing, it was 12 BTDC, adjusted to about 8-9 BTDC, now she is a screamer. My car did just like yours the first time I owned it, My uncle replaced a carb jet and it was fine. If you can send me a PM I will respond to this thread until I am worthy of sending a PM. Thanks, Scott

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.