Cadillac Owners Forum banner

472 waterpump/serpentine belt problem

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  cadillacmike68 
#1 ·
I went out today to finish up the belts/hoses and fan after changing the water pump when I realized that the back serpentine belt is rubbing the housing on the water pump. It seems to not rub alot, but it's concerning me. Is there an adjustment on any of the pulleys (maybe AC condenser?) that can move this belt out at all? Or do I need to grind down the water pump housing? Or will it not really hurt anything? The housing on the old water pump seems a little darkened on that portion, too. So maybe it was hitting also? Please advise!

Sorry for being blurry, but you get the point.

See less See more
#3 ·
anyone know if there is a non A/C belt? I have clearance if I don't go to the A/C compressor. The A/C doesn't work anyway. I dremeled the water pump housing as much as I feel comfortable with, so it will rub slightly less and it's now smooth instead of rough casting. I think I might just try it and see how it goes. Still interested in a non-A/C belt if there exists one though.

#4 ·
Believe it or not these cars did NOT come standard with A/C however I have never seen one without it. The belts are out there but probably arent too popular. One of your best bets would go to www.usapartssupply.com and check out what belts they have, im not too sure but I am guessing the belt for non-A/C is some standard size they have down at the store, not certain on that thouhg.

It is very odd that the belt is rubbing on the casting like that, it was probably just a bad mold or something at the factory... if it is a reman pump and was casted bad, it would have smooth rub marks from the previous engine, I would take a gander at your compressor to make sure the thing isnt all cockeyed in there... even if you dont use it. I do believe however that the compressor can be slid around

#7 ·
These cars took 48 or 48.5" belts without Climate Control. I carry a set with my 68 DVC in case the compressor pulley seizes. This has happened more than once in my experience with these cars! :mad: Unless you live way up north, you'd be better off getting your Climate Control fixed. you'll enjoy your car a lot more.:thumbsup:

That's a loooong stretch up from the crank pulley to the compressor. If the belts aren't tight, they'll "wobble" and can touch the pump housing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.