emission help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, emission help in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Just rebuilt 76 500 and looking to use the original carb.I have no idea what I can leave off and ...
    deeman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

emission help

Just rebuilt 76 500 and looking to use the original carb.I have no idea what I can leave off and still make it perform properly. Also not sure which ports are for what on the carb.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

capn_zoom is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: emission help

Deeman,

Doug Roe wrote an excellent book on Rochester carburetors. So far, it is the bible for anyone that wants to mess with one. They're about $15 on Amazon.com. As far as which ports go where, get yourself a good shop manual (I found an original 1976 Coupe DeVille shop manual on eBay for around $25) and look over the vacuum diagrams. They will tell you where everything goes.

Is this the best help one would hope to recieve,try and find a manual like I did and it will tell you what goes where.If I had a manual I would never ask the question.I am not asking how to build an engine from the ground up,there are roughly six ports and I can guess probably 3 of them.As for searching myself I have come up empty at the local dealer and i am trying to get this vehicle on the road as soon as possible so hoping to buy a manual on ebay is not a great option. If i solved this little problem having a manual for a caddy when it is in a chev 4x4 would be useless.I'm not trying to dump all over you although it probably sounds like it ,just getting frustrated.

tripleyellow78cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by deeman
    Is this the best help one would hope to recieve,try and find a manual like I did and it will tell you what goes where.If I had a manual I would never ask the question.I am not asking how to build an engine from the ground up,there are roughly six ports and I can guess probably 3 of them.As for searching myself I have come up empty at the local dealer and i am trying to get this vehicle on the road as soon as possible so hoping to buy a manual on ebay is not a great option. If i solved this little problem having a manual for a caddy when it is in a chev 4x4 would be useless.I'm not trying to dump all over you although it probably sounds like it ,just getting frustrated.
    well since it sounds like you wont need to ever smog this truck,
    hell i would just keep the pcv hose(you don't want sludge) and the vaccume advance hooked up and the power brake booster (if this ride has them) and to the auto tranny modulator.
    and just plug off all the others, like the one to the egr up valve on the
    i know these cad V8's have also a ported vaccume switch in the front of bolth heads that are a pain in the a#@ to change

hope this helps , also try going to your public library and try to find a service manual and just photo copy the pages you need and to hell with buying one :coolgleam

Now that is what I'm looking for.I had those thoughts too but I guess I won't worry about the rest of it and if it needs to be tuned afterwards so be it.Thanks for the reply.

tripleyellow78cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by deeman
    Now that is what I'm looking for.I had those thoughts too but I guess I won't worry about the rest of it and if it needs to be tuned afterwards so be it.Thanks for the reply.
    Happy to help, and i think your going to like having that big old torque monster in your chevy 4X4:coolgleam
    I had a 76 coupe deville with the same engine and it would absolultly kill
    any young fool trying to race me in his little 4banger that sounded like a lawnmower HA!

and i am very glad to see someone finnaly use this engine in their ride
    hope you have fun,and do a burn out for all cad 500 lovers on this site:coolgleam

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.