Horrible Squeking
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Horrible Squeking in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I Have A Horrible Squeking Sound Inside My Cab, Found Out It Is My Speedo Tube. Anyone Ever Grease That ...
    THE1ANDONLY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Coupe Deville

Horrible Squeking

I Have A Horrible Squeking Sound Inside My Cab, Found Out It Is My Speedo Tube. Anyone Ever Grease That Tube Before? If So How Was It? Any Troubles? Tips? (1970 Coupe De Ville)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Re: Horrible Squeking

There is a tool which will allow the speedo cable to be greased by unscrewing it from the transmission end. It adapts to a zirc fitting. You have to go very slowly while greasing. Use a hand pump otherwise the cable will blow apart. Alternative is to pull the cable center out, grease, reinstall.

limousine rider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1971 fleetwood, series 75<----Antique Land Yatch

Quote Originally Posted by The Ape Man View Post
    There is a tool which will allow the speedo cable to be greased by unscrewing it from the transmission end. It adapts to a zirc fitting. You have to go very slowly while greasing. Use a hand pump otherwise the cable will blow apart. Alternative is to pull the cable center out, grease, reinstall.

He can also replace it with a new one if the old one is to far gone.

I Was Going To Pull My Dash Apart But Did'nt Know What I Was Getting Into. So Is There A Zirc Fitting On My Tranny? If So Is That All That I Grease (what Kind Of Grease)?

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

No. It's a tool that screws into the cable at the lower end.

Where Can I Find That Tool?

Brother_B is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1969 Coupe DeVille, 1972 Sedan DeVille

Good luck finding that tool. I highly recommend that you try to find it before you take the dash apart. I replaced my speedo cable recently, and I haven't been able to get it working again yet. The hugest pain in the ass was the part behind the dash. I ended up dismantling the radio and heater controls before I could get enough access to get to the end that connects to the gage. (Then again, I've got Gumby fingers.) If you can get away with just removing the tranny end of the cable and pump grease in that way, do it. As for the type of grease, the new cable came with some special "speedo grease". No idea what exactly it was, it was just called speedo grease. All I know is it was yellowish-brownish. Maybe you can buy some. Back when I did mine, looking around a little bit, I found out that white lithium grease or wheel bearing grease have been used. Now that I think about it, I bet grease may be my problem, so I am going to try to find this tool as well.

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor

The Cruise Control can cause the squeak as well. You'll probably notice the speedo needle is bouncing as well when the squeak is going. My Eldo is doing it, it sucks. I gonna start by having the cable lubed, if that doesn't work then I may just bypass the cruise with a new standard speedo cable for a car w/o cruise.

BluEyes is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1970 Sedan deVille hardtop

If the car has cruise and the squeaking is definately from inside the cabin, then greasing the lower cable at the trans won't help, you'd need to grease the upper cable that runs from the cruise controll 'brain' to the dash.

As for pulling the dash apart, I've had my '70 apart a few times and it is by far the easiest dash I have ever seen to take apart and together. Grab a FSM off Ebay and it will be really easy as long as you have a reasonable mechanical aptitude.

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

The 1970 is a lot easier to take apart then the 69 whcich itself is many times easier than the 68s. I know - have been in all three. They didn't make the 68 to be taken apart easily. Just wait until you have to change a front side marker or cornering light!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.