Broken Stud bolt
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Broken Stud bolt in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was pulling my 472 y pipes off my exshaust manifolds, got all 3 bolts off smoothly and i hit ...
  1. #1
    limousine rider's Avatar
    limousine rider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1971 fleetwood, series 75<----Antique Land Yatch
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    66

    Broken Stud bolt

    I was pulling my 472 y pipes off my exshaust manifolds, got all 3 bolts off smoothly and i hit the 4th bolt wich is the last one well needless to say it broke off after 3 good pushes on the socket wrench, now i have to either drill and tap or try and an easy out, the stud is counter sunk in the manifold ied say a good 1/4" and its on the drivers side closest to the block (arrr) does anyone have any suggestions or tips??? I've been reading up a bit on it and easy outs, sound like a persition art wich in my case isn't to good bacause of the lack of room to move freely..

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    dkozloski's Avatar
    dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak
    Age
    74
    Posts
    26,675

    Re: Broken Stud bolt

    Quote Originally Posted by limousine rider View Post
    I was pulling my 472 y pipes off my exshaust manifolds, got all 3 bolts off smoothly and i hit the 4th bolt wich is the last one well needless to say it broke off after 3 good pushes on the socket wrench, now i have to either drill and tap or try and an easy out, the stud is counter sunk in the manifold ied say a good 1/4" and its on the drivers side closest to the block (arrr) does anyone have any suggestions or tips??? I've been reading up a bit on it and easy outs, sound like a persition art wich in my case isn't to good bacause of the lack of room to move freely..
    Easy-outs are no good on a twisted off bolt. They'll just make the situation worse. Get a guy who knows what he's doing to TIG weld onto the remains of the bolt and build up a lump until its above the surface. Now weld a nut onto the lump. Put a wrench on the nut along with some Mouse Milk and turn the nut back and forth gradually until you loosen up the bloody stub and screw it out. If the nut breaks off; build up the lump again, weld on another nut and try again. I've done this hundreds of time and never had it not work.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!


  4. #3
    limousine rider's Avatar
    limousine rider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1971 fleetwood, series 75<----Antique Land Yatch
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    66

    Re: Broken Stud bolt

    Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    Easy-outs are no good on a twisted off bolt. They'll just make the situation worse. Get a guy who knows what he's doing to TIG weld onto the remains of the bolt and build up a lump until its above the surface. Now weld a nut onto the lump. Put a wrench on the nut along with some Mouse Milk and turn the nut back and forth gradually until you loosen up the bloody stub and screw it out. If the nut breaks off; build up the lump again, weld on another nut and try again. I've done this hundreds of time and never had it not work.

    no tig welders near by! any other ideas?

  5. #4
    dkozloski's Avatar
    dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak
    Age
    74
    Posts
    26,675

    Re: Broken Stud bolt

    Drill a hole in the center of the broken bolt. Insert an easy-out. Twist on it and break it off. Now you have something in the middle of the broken bolt that is too hard to be drilled. Remove the whole motor, take it to a welding shop and have the bolt removed using the TIG welding method. I've seen this procedure used many times too.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!


  6. #5
    cadillac_al is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,736

    Re: Broken Stud bolt

    I always take the manifold off, put it in a vise or secure it some other way, then drill a small hole in the very center of the broken stud. Then I drill a hole a little bigger, then a little bigger. when the remaining bolt is very thin it will sometimes spin out with the drill if you are using left hand drill bits. If no left hand drill bits then the easy out should work but go easy. If I break the easy out in there, I have had luck burning it out with an acetylene torch. If you are careful you won't damage the cast iron threads. After all this work, run a tap through it and it will be good as new again.

    A friend of mine did the welding technique the other day but he is a much better welder than me. He said it still took a long time and made me think I could have drilled one faster. Since I started using left hand drill bits, I haven't had to torch one for a long time. Good luck.

  7. #6
    JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Age
    27
    Posts
    760

    Re: Broken Stud bolt

    Congradulations! You are now experiencing one of the most difficult and gut wrenching situations a mechanic can face! I had this happen on my 350 to a spark plug, my only solution (while keeping the head on the block) was to weld a screw driver to the broken bolt and heat the area cherry red and it came right out.

    Since my story involves welding it seems to be of no used to you. I highly DISCOURAGE using an easy out. They seem to do more harm than good. However to machinists with a slew of maching equipment they are great. Being completely honest with you here... if I were you I would take the head off the engine, take it to a machinist and spend $25 getting it removed. The downside to this is your going to have to remove the intake so you are gonna need a new gasket to that, and since you have everything off but the other head, you may as well take that one off too and replace both of the head gaskets, so your looking at about $150+ in parts and also your time.

    You could do all that or I also unfortunately... regrettably suggest you take it to a garage to where they have welders and a few guys named Rich or Gus cruisin' around that have dealt with similar situations.

    You have to keep in mind that not only do you have a broken bolt with nothing to grab, that bolt broke because its threads are really freakin stuck to the block! Good luck, keep us informed!

  8. #7
    limousine rider's Avatar
    limousine rider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1971 fleetwood, series 75<----Antique Land Yatch
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    66

    Re: Broken Stud bolt

    Quote Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
    Congradulations! You are now experiencing one of the most difficult and gut wrenching situations a mechanic can face! I had this happen on my 350 to a spark plug, my only solution (while keeping the head on the block) was to weld a screw driver to the broken bolt and heat the area cherry red and it came right out.

    Since my story involves welding it seems to be of no used to you. I highly DISCOURAGE using an easy out. They seem to do more harm than good. However to machinists with a slew of maching equipment they are great. Being completely honest with you here... if I were you I would take the head off the engine, take it to a machinist and spend $25 getting it removed. The downside to this is your going to have to remove the intake so you are gonna need a new gasket to that, and since you have everything off but the other head, you may as well take that one off too and replace both of the head gaskets, so your looking at about $150+ in parts and also your time.

    You could do all that or I also unfortunately... regrettably suggest you take it to a garage to where they have welders and a few guys named Rich or Gus cruisin' around that have dealt with similar situations.

    You have to keep in mind that not only do you have a broken bolt with nothing to grab, that bolt broke because its threads are really freakin stuck to the block! Good luck, keep us informed!
    Great info but its my exshaust manifold where it exits and meets the y pipe! So im going to do this underneath the car, if it looks to bad i may try taking the manifold off the head wich in all cases would be the best for space to work on it. Also if i manage to take the manifold off i my take it to a machinist to have them take it out. Man all this just so i can change my hole exshaust system. Let the fun begin as the old saying goes lol..

  9. #8
    JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Age
    27
    Posts
    760

    Re: Broken Stud bolt

    Quote Originally Posted by limousine rider View Post
    Great info but its my exshaust manifold where it exits and meets the y pipe! So im going to do this underneath the car, if it looks to bad i may try taking the manifold off the head wich in all cases would be the best for space to work on it. Also if i manage to take the manifold off i my take it to a machinist to have them take it out. Man all this just so i can change my hole exshaust system. Let the fun begin as the old saying goes lol..

    HAHA! Sorry about that Now I know what your talking about! Thats what happens when you try to distract yourself from writing a lab report on Pre-deposition and Drive-in diffusion processes!!!

    Anywhoooo yeah I would definitely rip that sucker out of there and take it to a machinest, I broke a stud off on my manifold and just took it to the machinist, he didn't charge me very much and it didn't take him very long. I tried to battle with it as well and almost permanently damaged it before I realized that I didnt have the tools and jigs to properly remove it. Take it to the machinist before you waste lots of TIME and MONEY on expensive drill bits and easy outs!

  10. #9
    534BC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    58

    Re: Broken Stud bolt

    start drilling it with a left-handed bit rather than a normal bit.

  11. #10
    limousine rider's Avatar
    limousine rider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1971 fleetwood, series 75<----Antique Land Yatch
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    66

    Re: Broken Stud bolt

    Quote Originally Posted by 534BC View Post
    start drilling it with a left-handed bit rather than a normal bit.

    yah this is the first thing im going to try.

  12. #11
    The Ape Man's Avatar
    The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,096

    Re: Broken Stud bolt

    I'd vote for the left handed bit. It will take time, patience and maybe more than 1 bit. You can drill progressively larger and completely through in order to stick in a long stud and nut on the other end if it's the bolt I'm thinking of. Not easy though. Use eye protection that seals around your face or I'll have to tell you some horror stories. Taking the manifold out of the car might very well leave you with more broken bolts unless it was recently off. The manifold flange job should not be tried without a smoke wrench. Replace with brass nuts.

  13. #12
    limousine rider's Avatar
    limousine rider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1971 fleetwood, series 75<----Antique Land Yatch
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    66

    Re: Broken Stud bolt

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ape Man View Post
    I'd vote for the left handed bit. It will take time, patience and maybe more than 1 bit. You can drill progressively larger and completely through in order to stick in a long stud and nut on the other end if it's the bolt I'm thinking of. Not easy though. Use eye protection that seals around your face or I'll have to tell you some horror stories. Taking the manifold out of the car might very well leave you with more broken bolts unless it was recently off. The manifold flange job should not be tried without a smoke wrench. Replace with brass nuts.
    The manifolds haven't been off so im going to work on it inderneath the car and yes im going to use left turning bits and work my way up in sizes also im going to heat it up red hot that should make drilling smoother unless you know somting about that trick that i dont know about (lol). Im going to start this next weekend wish me luck im going to need it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting