71 Cad Eld and previous owners of vehicle in US
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 71 Cad Eld and previous owners of vehicle in US in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello, I'm from Australia. In a few days I'm taking purchase of a 1971 Cad Elderado Coupe. Is there any ...
    Damon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

71 Cad Eld and previous owners of vehicle in US

Hello, I'm from Australia. In a few days I'm taking purchase of a 1971 Cad Elderado Coupe. Is there any way of using the internet and the vehicle identification number and engine number to find out who previous owners were when vehicle was home in the US. AND How is the 71 held in the eyes of Americans. Any inherent problems with it?
    Cheers
    Damon

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Brother_B is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1969 Coupe DeVille, 1972 Sedan DeVille

Re: 71 Cad Eld and previous owners of vehicle in US

Unfortunately www.carfax.com only works if the VIN is 17 characters.

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!

They're rust buckets. The door jambs in the lower rear corner rot, immediately clean out the drain that is in the rear quarter panel (underneath the car, there is a tiny rubber flap cover over it), between the back of the door and in front of the rear wheel so the several gallons of water that's in there can drain out. If you have no rust there make sure you use a pipe cleaner to keep it cleaned out so rust doesn't start.

Took me two years to find a clean rust free car that wasn't a desert rat.

The other problem is the trunk is to small so you can only get one body at a time in there. Well, maybe the coupe has a bit more space in the trunk.

Parts are scarce, be patient most everything comes up on E-bay. Don't jump at buying junk yard parts, E-bay is much cheaper.

The big blocks get sticky lifters so there is tapping at start up, when you have this problem it's usually a cheap easy fix so ask.

I don't imagine you'll ever see another one on the road down there.

Have fun.

Oh yeah, they get SHITTTY mileage.

Is there anything good you can say about it? There's actually a few down here.
    What do you mean about bodies in the trunk?

It's big, it takes most of the curbside parking in front of my house, it gets shitty gas mileage, the quality is awful, the engine is giant, it handles worse than a Suburban, God help you if you end up at the plaza durring a holiday you'll get a one fingered salute from most of the cell phone Mommies that want by you.

Oh, you said good stuff! It's big, it takes most of the curbside parking in front of my house, it gets shitty gas mileage, the quality is awful, the engine is giant, it handles worse than a Suburban, God help you if you end up at the plaza durring a holiday you'll get a one fingered salute from most of the cell phone Mommies that want by you.

Those are some of the reasons I love this car, it's huge, it's ridiculous, it's one of the high points of American overindulgence and planned obsolescence. That and my Air horns that play the theme from The Godfather. Mine's a Black on Black in Black '73 Convertible so it looks like it should have two fat Italianos in front and a dead one named Guido in the trunk.

My little Girls love it when I put the top down and take them for a ride. Every time I drive the car it puts a grin on my face. I get more attention in this car than probably any car I've ever owned, it's a rolling car show. The best thing about it is it's an unrestored garage queen so it really pisses off the guys with the restored cars when I roll my $7,000 convertible into a car show. I never see one of these things at a car event and I go to them several times a month.

When I get the inside of my trunk cleaned up (the only ugly part on the car) I'm going to leave dirty gloves, work boots a folding shovel and a sack of lime in there for the shows.

Oh yeah, the AC will Freeze you.

eldrewado is offline Cadillac Owners Member

ive got a 71 eldo as well its a convertible though, theres alot of good things about them. (although i will admit mine was in very good condition when i got it so i didn't have alot to fix) its extreme heavyness makes you not notice its front wheel drive, it also makes you feel invulnerable since its built like a tank.

other than some valve problems(which u may not have, i didn't) the motors are solid. if you dont care about high end power or leaving it stock there are cams and carburetors that can make it get very decent gas mileage(almost 20 mpg with one MTS cam i saw with stock carburetor) ive never gotten dirty looks from people who hate gas guzzlers (but then its almost a given that you don't drive it more than once a week) beware. if u dont want to change the motor, the best mileage ive EVER gotten was 9 mpg 6-7 if u stomp it. it makes you feel good though its worth it for me

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

The Cadillac in question is a very fine automobile indeed. Mechanical parts for these vehicles are available almost everywhere in the US, I have no idea where the above poster gets the notion that parts are scarce... perhaps some interior items..

The Cadillacs of this era are as durable as dump-trucks and are probably the smoothest driving cars ever built. And contrary to the poster above they handle absolutely fine but don't expect to take hairpins at 40, these cars are designed for highway use. The 472's and 500's are just hulking beasts of motors... enough power to rip a house of it's foundation... the only week point is the rocker/spring system which can EASILY be fixed with after market items. Other than that these big blocks have an unfathomably strong bottom end, the crankshaft seemed like it was 100lbs, nice thick cylinder walls, very stout heads... etc.

These cars are structured ENTIRELY out of steel, so if you find a nice rust free car, treat it for rust prevention and you have yourself an indestructible machine that glides across the road. Ive seen photographs of accidents with these things... if you hit something hard enough the car will be fine but you'll be dead from being rattled around like a ball bearing in a tin can, these cars are meant to not break, the safety of other drivers and yourself were a secondary concern in the engineering of these vehicles. They are just built like a brick shithouse.

How are these viewed in the eyes of Americans? There is nothing like seeing a classic Cadillac roll down the road, these cars were the standard of the world automotive industry, there is an undying respect for these classics...

Parts aren't scarce for a '73? Okay, I need a show quality grill, rear center bumper (guard) rubber w/reflectors and a right door spacer set.

Let me know where I can easily pick these up and I'll buy them.

The '73 in specific was not know for a durable engine, the other items in the car stick together well enough. The '73s tended to burn up rings and valves early. Every '73 I looked at had a rebuilt motor (mine included). The earlier or later model cars had better didn't seem to have that issue. I looked at these for years trying to find the right nearly rust free car.

How do you treat the inside of the rear quarters or inside of the rear deck lid for rust? These things rust from the inside out.

I love my Eldo, but it is what it is. The quality of your '68 is far superior to my '73, they just don't compare. 1973 was the low point for Cadillac quality.

every 73 u saw had been rebuilt? that gets me to thinking.. the only thing different about the 73 from the 71-73 was the cam which were the hottest in 73 but i mean hot compared to all of the other stock cams 70-76 not actually "hot" as we think of it. maybe it was just enough to kick the valve train around. or mabey u just had bad luck. i dunno. maybe the previous owners drove like me

although for me the ht 4100 series was the low point in cad engineering

Quote Originally Posted by eldrewado View Post
    every 73 u saw had been rebuilt? that gets me to thinking.. the only thing different about the 73 from the 71-73 was the cam which were the hottest in 73 but i mean hot compared to all of the other stock cams 70-76 not actually "hot" as we think of it. maybe it was just enough to kick the valve train around. or mabey u just had bad luck. i dunno. maybe the previous owners drove like me

although for me the ht 4100 series was the low point in cad engineering
    LOL,

The 4100 is better than a hump back seville diesel or a 4 spd, 4 banger Cimarron.

There's a rumor that Cadillac is bringing back the Cimarron name plate. That's one dead horse that should not be resurrected!

I haven't had any bad luck with my car at all, the previous owner had the engine rebuilt by a local speed shop so the cam was warmed up a bit over stock, new rings and valves. Nothing like a little bit of cam noise over Johnny Cash in the 8 track.

I'm always looking for clean '70s Cads, seems like something in the '73 engines just made them go south that year. My aunt owned a dealership in the '70s, when I brought FAT ELDO to her house even she looked at it and the first comment was "you know the motors in them '73s are no good".

But I WANTED FENDER SKIRTS!

God help me when I find a Mandarin Orange '75 Coupe with the Orange Plaid interior! Now that's a Cadillac!

LOL

Thanks for your input everyone. BUT can somebody tell me why these big strong tough cars with the biggest production motor ever built (I think) are not worth much compared to all the other classic cars. There unique because of there size and of course the size of the motor. Is there any prospect of them increasing in value (a lot) in the future.
    Cheers

ok yeah the 4 banger ill give you that one

and that makes me wrong on 2 counts, that 20 mpg claim i made about that cam was wrong. u need more than the cam alone to get that, my mistake

im thinkin they probably will increase in value. thats why i bought another one, a 75 for some parts because i expect the prices to go up. they might not, but i erred on the side of caution.

They have been going up in value for a number of years now. I fully expect mine to bring $15,000+ when I sell it at the end of the year. I think $15,000 is pretty good money for an unrestored American car from the '70s. I believe these cars will continue to rise in value from here out.

BTW I'm looking for a rear impact strip, not rear bumper guards. Any leads on one would be great.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.