Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Proper Idle RPMS in park???

9K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  cadillacmike68 
#1 ·
I finally got my 472 to roar to life and timed I'm just wondering now what the appropriate idle rpm should be when the car is in park, the book said in drive curbside idle should be 600rpm, yet when I get it to idle at 600rpm in drive and then I put it in park the idle shoots up to 900 to 1000rpms is this normal? I'm not really sure, any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks:worship:

#5 ·
The engine settings as specified by GM is supposed to be while the car is in DRIVE. Look at your engine fan shroud for the settings decal. (You can get one from McVeys and no I don't work for them.)

This is all from memory since I'm not at home and my car is in the shop getting paint / body work (but I've had 68-74 Cadillacs for nearly 20 years total and did a lot of tune up work myself back in the day...)

The AC should be off, the air cleaner off, the vacuum advance plugged, timing b/w 5 and 7.5 BTDC depending on the year, idle mixture screws all the way out then turned in 1 or 2 turns in (depending on year), Dwell set at 30. Now, turn the mixture screws in until you get a 20 RPMm drop, then back off 1/2 turn (do each side), THEN use the idle screw and adjust to 600 RPM (69 & up) or 550 RPM (68) in drive.

I think this is sort of correct :confused:

In park it should jump up 300-400 RPM or so this is normal and it won't hurt the transmission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.