I might get shot for this.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, I might get shot for this. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi. I just stumbled upon this forum. Looks like there is lots of really good info to be had here ...
    mynameisrory is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 472 engine and tranny (and wrecked car)

I might get shot for this.

Hi. I just stumbled upon this forum. Looks like there is lots of really good info to be had here Ok heres the situation. I have a 472 motor and transmission.Unfortunately the car was used in a demolition derby so i have no cadillac to put it in. However i do have a mercedes 240d with no engine or transmission in it. This seems ubsurd i know, but i think it would make a really different kinda car. The 240d has 4 wheel independent suspension and disc brakes all around. I have another one that runs and i love the way it handles.
    The engine will fit the 240 engine bay, i have done the measurements. The transmission tunnel will have to be seriously widened, but i have the tools necessary to do it. I can also drop a rear end from a mercedes 500sel into it if need be. Now i know this seems like a horrible idea,but both engine, transmission, and car will just rust if i dont do something with them.
    Just thought i would throw that out there. hope you guys give me some input be it good or bad.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BluEyes is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1970 Sedan deVille hardtop

Re: I might get shot for this.

It's not a bad idea. Too bad people beat on the old Caddies, but the MB chassis is definately good and much lighter than the Cad. My '71 220D weighs a bit over 3000#. The Caddy engine will likely add a few hundered pounds but nothing a 472 can't handle! Be careful of rust, the older Benzes were pretty bad about rusting way more than they should.

I'm betting your biggest issues will be with the cooling system and hooking up the power steering and AC (if you've got it). I know my 220 has a much smaller radiator than the Caddy, and really doesn't have an easy way to make it bigger without hacking into the cars structure. Power steering and AC would require some custom hoses at the least, and you'd have to figure out what system pressures to run.

Call it a Benzillac? Should be an awesome ride when it's done, keep us posted!

mynameisrory is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 472 engine and tranny (and wrecked car)

The car i am using is a 1980 240d and it has zero rust on it( I love southern california!) I figured i would have to do some cutting to fit a bigger radiator and probably use electric fans too. I was thinking of mounting the Mercedes power steering pump in place of the AC pump or the smog pump. not sure yet tho. I wont be hooking up the AC in the car as it has already been removed. Im not a big fan of AC anyways, thats what windows are for! Im thinking of altering the badge on the trunk lid to say Mercedes 472 instead of Mercedes 240d and make a sleeper of sorts lol.

fleetwood76 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1976 FLEETWOOD brougham

Sounds like a cool idea- A Mercedes 770.

jolle.

limousine rider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1971 fleetwood, series 75<----Antique Land Yatch

Sounds off the wall! i've seen a 73 vw bettle with a 742 in it with an Eldo trans, that bettle was crazy looking. Cool idea !!! if you do make it please take pics for us to see.

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor

This should improve your 0-60 in a week to something more respectable. That sounds like loads of fun, what a sleeper. Stick some V tags on the side just to piss off the guys in the CTS-V forum and put up some pics after you do it.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Hope you are 20 years old. With good luck, you should finish the project by the time you are 30.

LOL

eldrewado is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

keep us posted i guess the thing ull need is a new driveshaft unless u get insane lucky. sounds like a great project hey i almost got shot once too for saying that a guy should but a 4.3 v6 from an astro into his classic mustangs body. but i lived

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Koooop View Post
    Stick some V tags on the side just to piss off the guys in the CTS-V forum and put up some pics after you do it.
    Troublemaker.

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.