Oil change on my 72 500 - 10W30?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Oil change on my 72 500 - 10W30? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm about to do an oil change on my 72 eldo with the 500. Wondering what weight oil I should ...
    n3rdcore is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Oil change on my 72 500 - 10W30?

I'm about to do an oil change on my 72 eldo with the 500. Wondering what weight oil I should get. The manual is recommending like 4 different weights so thought i'd ask here. On my Oldsmobile Delta 88 455 I used 10w30, but now I live in the desert where it gets up to 120 F in the summer, so not sure if there is some other weight i should use, and I'm far from an expert on this...Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tripleyellow78cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Oil change on my 72 500 - 10W30?

Quote Originally Posted by n3rdcore
    I'm about to do an oil change on my 72 eldo with the 500. Wondering what weight oil I should get. The manual is recommending like 4 different weights so thought i'd ask here. On my Oldsmobile Delta 88 455 I used 10w30, but now I live in the desert where it gets up to 120 F in the summer, so not sure if there is some other weight i should use, and I'm far from an expert on this...Any suggestions? Thanks!
    I live in bakersfield ca
    and it gets very hot here too in the summer sometimes 110 degrees
    and i use 10w30 in all of my cars 1978 cad 425 v-8 1990 gmc tbi350
    and it works well, also 10w40 or 30w should work too but i stay with 10w30 yearround .
    also i found out that synthetic oil's will eat the crap out of your rings , and all of your engine gaskets so stay away if you have an old engine that leaks a little oil
    or uses any oil , like my old cad!
    hope that helps :coolgleam

n3rdcore is offline Cadillac Owners Member

cool thanks tripleyellow78cad. i think i will stick with the 10w30! Oil change time...

tripleyellow78cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

]you're welcome , happy to help

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.