Best performance for dollar
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Best performance for dollar in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm slowly building a 500, need it to be competable against 454's and 460's. The truck it's going in is ...
    sinverarity is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Best performance for dollar

I'm slowly building a 500, need it to be competable against 454's and 460's.

The truck it's going in is built for mud racing, and I need something that is a little different.

In this class, we can run nitrous, and open headers.

So I guess my question is, what is the best, cheaper way of making a health, reliable engine.

So far I have:
    500cid stock
    76cc heads from 472

What are the recommendations for overbore, intake, and head work.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Re: Best performance for dollar

What year is your 500? If it's a later one that came with 120cc heads, then your 76cc heads will make 13.1:1 compression.

There are 2 intakes for these motors, the Edelbrock and the Bulldog. The Edelbrock is good through about 450-500hp people say, be careful with nitrous as the intake has some mixture problems. The Bulldog intake is a huge single plane intake, too big for most people. Potter is doing some epoxy work to make it more useful.

Bulldog also offers aluminum heads for around $2000 a set, there are also people who can port a set of iron or aluminum heads for you.

Potter can get one of these bored out to about 4.5-4.6"

Well I have 2 actually, one is a 472 with 76cc heads, the other is a 500 with 120cc heads.

With luck, I'd like to run 100 - 150 horse shot of nos.

I am planning on changing pistons, as without a doubt either engine will need an overbore.

One question that has arrisen though, what is the journal diamension of the crank where the connecting rod attachs.?

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sinverarity
    One question that has arrisen though, what is the journal diamension of the crank where the connecting rod attachs.?
    2.500"

BTW......if you're gunna squirt it, forged rods and pistons would be a good idea.

Thanks,

Where can a guy find the rest of the tech spec's for a 500..??

Quote Originally Posted by sinverarity
    Thanks,

Where can a guy find the rest of the tech spec's for a 500..??
    MTS (Maximum Torque Specialties) sells a tech guide.
    http://users.elknet.net/mts/page7.html

Quote Originally Posted by lux hauler
    2.500"

BTW......if you're gunna squirt it, forged rods and pistons would be a good idea.
    If you're going to get forged pistons, you might as well go for more than a 150 shot of nitrous, stock pistons will handle 150 pretty well.

I'm not so sure your engine will need an overbore, though, unless it has a million miles or something.

Have you been to shiftless's 500 forum yet?

What's the website to shiftless 500???

Also, what about the stock rods, if I was to just juice the existing engine.??

Stock rods, from what I'm told, are pretty much junk in anything other than a stock to mild engine.

There are people that have run 100K mile, virtually stock, bottom ends with a 150+ shot. I guess it depends on how much of a chance you want to take. I would dare to say though, if your tuning isn't right on, you can probably kiss that stock bottom end good-bye. If you're gunna spend money on part of the build......might as well make it all right.

Another thing, don't skimp on the timing chain.....go with the Cloyes roller set-up.

The dillholes that be made up a stupid rule that doesn't allow linking to other forums. This cardomain page has a link in the favorite links area on the upper left of the page: http://www.cardomain.com/id/davesdeville

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.