68 DeVille...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 68 DeVille... in Cadillac Engine Discussion; Hi, Im in the process of purchasing a 68 DeVille with about 100K on it, the car is in excellent ...
    JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Too many...

68 DeVille...

Hi,

Im in the process of purchasing a 68 DeVille with about 100K on it, the car is in excellent condition so that probably means that it was driven reasonable as well. I was just wondering...what is the average life of a 472 if you take care of it? Thanks!

JT

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Re: 68 DeVille...

Welcome aboard! You already know my opinion... Glad to see you on the forums!

Angela Desmond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Personally, I believe the engines in the 500/472/425 family give some of the longest life of any engines ever made, if taken care of properly from birth. My 425 was re-built at 100k, ran 100k on that re-build and is now being done again, in a modified fashion, and the machine shop said when they went to line hone it, it was only off by .001". Hell, the wind could have been blowing a bit hard that day Change the oil regularly and enjoy.....

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

highonchai is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '85 Seville Commemorative, '69 Sedan deVille, '06 CTS Sport

I am in the antique business, and though i have barely any age at all (compared to my fellow antique vendors) i have heard of the 472 in particular running 300,000 Mi!!! with regular maintenance and care, i believe this was in an Olds of that era. but i know my '69 deville has 180K all original on it and it runs and starts like a champ. Youll be pleased.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Quote Originally Posted by highonchai
    I am in the antique business, and though i have barely any age at all (compared to my fellow antique vendors) i have heard of the 472 in particular running 300,000 Mi!!! with regular maintenance and care, i believe this was in an Olds of that era. but i know my '69 deville has 180K all original on it and it runs and starts like a champ. Youll be pleased.
    The 472s, 500s, 425s, and 368s were exclusive to Cadillacs. These engines will run for a long time. My 425 is at 170k. Just change the oil and you're good to go.

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Too many...

You don't know how nice it is to hear those comments

Once I get the car I plan on mixing in some Restore with the oil.

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Told ya so... Still don't have it yet? I thought you would have it by now...

10. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.