new plugs and wires for my 72 Eldorado...need advice.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, new plugs and wires for my 72 Eldorado...need advice. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; What plugs/wires should I get for my 1972 Eldorado? I don't know anything about different quality/brands of these so any ...
    n3rdcore is offline Cadillac Owners Member

new plugs and wires for my 72 Eldorado...need advice.

What plugs/wires should I get for my 1972 Eldorado? I don't know anything about different quality/brands of these so any suggestions would be great. I keep hearing Delco but I believe thats in reference to newer caddys. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tripleyellow78cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: new plugs and wires for my 72 Eldorado...need advice.

Quote Originally Posted by n3rdcore
    What plugs/wires should I get for my 1972 Eldorado? I don't know anything about different quality/brands of these so any suggestions would be great. I keep hearing Delco but I believe thats in reference to newer caddys. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    I just went to ac delcos website and you can still buy quite a few parts
    including ignition parts(plugs/wires/cap/rotor etc
    for your cadillac
    here is a link to their website
    http://www.acdelco.com/html/catalog/index.htm

I hope this helps
    oh also try autozone here is a link to their site
    http://www1.autozone.com

n3rdcore is offline Cadillac Owners Member

ok well i just bought some ac delco plugs. i took a plug out of my engine and they look GREAT, just the very light brown kinda "dusty" look that means everything is OK. There was hardly any wear to them at all. My question is, should I replace them all anyway? The previous owner who had the car said they didn't do anything for 4 years, so i assume they are at least that old. Time for new ones or let it go for a while?

Also, should I replace the wires? They were out of stock at autozone so I'd have to wait for a while if I do, but the wires appear to be in good condition from the outside, and everything is running fine.

Quote Originally Posted by n3rdcore
    ok well i just bought some ac delco plugs. i took a plug out of my engine and they look GREAT, just the very light brown kinda "dusty" look that means everything is OK. There was hardly any wear to them at all. My question is, should I replace them all anyway? The previous owner who had the car said they didn't do anything for 4 years, so i assume they are at least that old. Time for new ones or let it go for a while?

Also, should I replace the wires? They were out of stock at autozone so I'd have to wait for a while if I do, but the wires appear to be in good condition from the outside, and everything is running fine.
    Well If the engine is running smooth and there is no interfearence when the radio is on (you know that noise that can sometimes happen)
    well heck keep them , but plug wires can loose their strength over time
    but if them are not brittle keep'em
    i once had a 1961 chevy impala with a 283 v-8 with 90k original miles
    and that car ran perfectly smooth and the plug wires on that car were at the time 35 years old and no noise through the old am radio at all:coolgleam
    so if ther look,feel, work good heck keep'em
    but the plugs are a little old you say?
    plugs are cheap so change em but if you think they look good keep'em!

one more thing have you concidered switching to electronic ignition?
    they are a lot more reliable than the old breaker point system on your cad.
    if you want to upgrade or for more info go to the link i have listed below
    http://www.pertronix.com/new_product...ss/ig_pg21.htm

this is some of what they say about the upgrade
    PerTronix offers Ignitor electronic ignition conversion kits for most GM Delco points-type distributors 1958 to 1974. Part number 1181 also fits the more widely found single point 1958-74 applications.

The Ignitor module replaces the stock points and condenser using a Hall Effect integrated circuit to control dwell accuracy to within 1/4?. No “black box” is required as the Ignitor fits entirely under the distributor cap and delivers twice the voltage to the spark plugs, according to PerTronix. Used as a timing trigger, the Ignitor is compatible with most capacitive discharge systems including MSD and Pertronix’s Second Strike ignition. Additional kits are available for most points-type OEM and aftermarket distributors.

PerTronix helps the enthusiast complete their ignition upgrade with 40,000 volt Flame-Thrower®coils and high performance low resistance Flame-Thrower® ignition wire sets featuring dual current path.

i hope this info helps you keep that big old eldo running for a long time
    (i wish i had one)

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Quote Originally Posted by tripleyellow78cad
    one more thing have you concidered switching to electronic ignition?
    they are a lot more reliable than the old breaker point system on your cad.
    if you want to upgrade or for more info go to the link i have listed below
    http://www.pertronix.com/new_product...ss/ig_pg21.htm
    If it ain't broke...

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    If it ain't broke...
    I agree , just an idea :coolgleam

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.