Eldorado Emptying Water unto Floor
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Eldorado Emptying Water unto Floor in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi, Has anyone any idea where the water drain pipe is for the AC. My 83 Eldorado 4.1 has started ...
    Cardiac is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Eldorado Emptying Water Onto Floor

Hi,
    Has anyone any idea where the water drain pipe is for the AC. My 83 Eldorado 4.1 has started wetting the bed!!!! ahe is dumping a load of clean water down through the dash. I notice there is no little river when I park suggesting it's the AC drain water.
    I jacked her up this morning and got underneath but I am unable to locate the drain. Anyone any ideas where I should be looking???????

Thanks in advance.

Cardiac

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

djmumm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 37s, 57s, 93 eldo, 02 DHS, 05 XLR

Re: Eldorado Emptying Water unto Floor

I do not have experience with your particular year, but most GM's have a rubber valve on the bottom of the evaporator housing. It is usually hard to see from underneath or on top! It could be about 1.5 inches in diameter and about 1-2 inches long. It looks like a rubber funnel that the small end has been squashed flat. The rubber actually has a slit in the bottom and will open to drain water, but normally stays closed so that dust does not get sucked back into the evaporator housing. I had this type of valve fail on the sunroof drains on my 93 eldo. I ended up with a back seat full of water! The failure is that the rubber sticks shut, most often due to a mixture of dust and water the dries hard and seals it up. All you need to due is flex the rubber and the unwanted seal will be broken. Obviously, there is a chance that you have more junk in the housing and may need to take the "rubber funnel" off and clean it out.

So, try to reach down around to the bottom of your evaporator housing and see if you can feel this valve under there. You may be able to see it from the bottom if you look straight up past the right side exhaust, and the subframe member just forward of the firewall. If you are lucky, you may even be able to reach it from underneath!
    Good luck
    Dave

MMNineInchNails is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

If when you turn on the A/C and it smells bad, that usually means your drain plug is plugged up and needs to be replaced. It's normal for it to drop out water.

Thanks for the responses, but...

Thanks for the advise and I agree this is probably the cause OK but I cannot find the valve / funnel thingy. In fact to be honest I've just moved here from Ireland and I never worked on auto AC before. I dont know what the evaporator housing even looks like!!!!! I have been underneath looking and from the top. Have you any more specific details of where to find this. What will the evaporator housing look like?
    Thanks again for the help.
    Oh one more thing, what is the name of the very front most section of the front wing.

Ok, I am still going to prefas this with the statement that I do not have direct experience with your year car, but I will relay my experience with many other GM cars.

The evaporator housing is on the firewall on the right (passenger) side of the car and will come up to nearly touching the hood when shut. It is about 12 inches, front to back, 6 inches, left to right, and 12 inches tall. It will have a 1 inch diameter aluminum tube coming out towards the front of the car. It is usually made of a composite of plastic and fiberglass and is usually black in color. Let me know if this helps. Dave

Found It!!

Thank you so much. I had a look as soon as I read you last post. It seem to be a 1/2-5/8 hole protruding from the rear underside of the "Evaporator Housing" I presseed a straw up into it and water flowed out. It sounded like I was opening a little metal flap inside. This was all done from above.
    Thanks a million.
    Cardiac

Does anyone know what you call the nose piece to the front wing, or where I might go to get one The car car would be back in good shape.

Thanks

Glad it worked out for you. Using a straw was a smart idea. You sure don't want to poke a hole in your A/C evaporator.

I'm curious about the protruding hole. Would it resemble a nipple that you would put a hose on? If so, perhaps your rubber valve is missing and that is the root cause of your problem.

Dave

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.