LT1 help!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, LT1 help!!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Didnt know who else may help so im hoping you guys may have some insight I have a 1983 Trans ...
    CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

LT1 help!!!

Didnt know who else may help so im hoping you guys may have some insight
    I have a 1983 Trans AM pacecar with a 305 crossfire engine. Crossfire was roughly based on and developed by the same people who created the 468 enigne...and you all know what a bomb that is
    Well now i have decided im keeping her and im gonna do it right
    Question is what should i do and which would be easier.
    I can get an LT1 complete engine with harness computer block accessories etc etc out of a 1995 Fleetwood but is an a drop in? Will it work? or option 2 i remove the crosssfire and drop in a TPI set up,
    Either way will cost me about 500 bucks for all the parts labor will be free, i want to do the LT1 but what problems may i have?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bigbluebrougham is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Re: LT1 help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacETC1997 View Post
    Didnt know who else may help so im hoping you guys may have some insight
    I have a 1983 Trans AM pacecar with a 305 crossfire engine. Crossfire was roughly based on and developed by the same people who created the 468 enigne...and you all know what a bomb that is
    Well now i have decided im keeping her and im gonna do it right
    Question is what should i do and which would be easier.
    I can get an LT1 complete engine with harness computer block accessories etc etc out of a 1995 Fleetwood but is an a drop in? Will it work? or option 2 i remove the crosssfire and drop in a TPI set up,
    Either way will cost me about 500 bucks for all the parts labor will be free, i want to do the LT1 but what problems may i have?
    First, let me say nothin is ever a drop in. The motor yes, finding a place for everything under the hood, no. Here goes...

Well, IMHO, the 305 crossfire is a bomb. I think the thing makes power up to 3500 rpms and then the valves start to float. The cam is way too little and it breathes terrible with those small ports. That being said, if you were going to put TPI on, I hope you would change the cam and springs, and redo the heads at least... That should be simple since it uses the same ignition AFAIK. If you can get an LT1, that would be a VERY nice upgrade, not to say TPI isn't a fantastic upgrade over crossfire. However, along with the LT1 out of that fleetwood, you may want to see if you can get the tranny with it. 1983 transmission compared to a 1995 transmission, besides the fact that the 1995 is computer controlled by the computer for the LT1, there are many upgrades from GM. The front pump is upgraded, the insides are revamped and most mportant of all, the splines on a 1983 tranny are 27, wheras the 1995 are 30. Driveshaft upgrade too, unless you can get the yoke from the driveshaft. I don't know if the u-joints are the same. I doubt it. (This is only if you get the tranny from the Fleetwood) You didn't specify whether or not it was an automatic or not, but I think all crossfires came with an auto if my memory serves me correctly. Fleetwoods came with oil coolers also so if you are not going to run the oil cooler, you can just take the adapter off, or run an oil cooler in the front. (Maybe get the radiator from it too???) Power steering would have to have some custom lines made. Computer would have to be programmed, well, not HAVE to, but since it is going into a lighter car with different gears, it would be a wise choice. If you can't get the tranny rom the fleetwood, as long as you are programming the computer, you CAN program it in for a non-computer controlled transmission. The kickdown bracket should bolt right up to the LT1 intake manifold. The rest should be just time intensive, making sure to get everything right... Someone else chime in if I left anything out! Hope this helps!!

BBB

thanks for all the info
    i my speedo is cable driven so i thought it would be easiest and best to keep my 700r4 especially since i already put a vette valve body to accel in overD
    itd also be one less computer/ wireing nightmare to take on,
    my thing also is whats the deal with the instrument panel?
    how would i connect everything up from this new pcm to my old cluster? also herd that maybe the xfire harness may be the same as the lt1 and maybe all id have to do is swap the proms?

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

I am not too adventurous when it comes to jobs like that, but I will tell you if you are looking to replace one computer controlled engine with another, you are looking for a lot of work.

You need to start by asking yourself a few questions.
    Is there a problem with the "cease-fire" injection engine that is in it now or are you just wanting to soup the thing up?
    Do you live in an emissions testing area?
    How much time and money do you have to invest in this project?
    What is the ultimate goal of what you are trying to accomplish and what will this car be used for?

Personally, I would try to find mods that work with the factory set up and clean it up to make it run the way it was supposed to OR I would rip it out and go old school with a carb, or with an aftermarket injection setup. Trying to use existing electronics to change what you have will be troublesome, as will trying to import an entire electrical system to put in an LT1 or similar.
    But then again, that is down to how much time and money you are willing to put into this project.

Ive had everything tuned by a corevette specialty shop the car runs 100%, but when im getting my doors blown off by a friend with a 2.8 V6 Camaro with Multi Port injection, its time for some modification...
    there are no mods for the shitfire injection, short of spending THOUSANDS more than this swap could ever cost,
    I have all summer and a shop with mechanics willing to help me, with the mechanical and running lines, computer and wiring im on my own which im hoping with my audio background, i have a shot.
    Right now i have about a grand, its gonna cost me 400 for everything, motor, harness, and computer. So i think 600 to play with incase i need something is pretty good.
    I live in pa which is emission but i the shop i work at is an emissions testing facility so "wink" "wink"
    Also downtime isnt a problem the car will stay at the shop while i work, and ive got my 97 ETC to drive while is down
    my main things right now is how do i connect the cluster to the new computer

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

I am not sure I can help you there, you'd need the time to pour over the schematics for both cars and see how to make the signals match up.

I wish you luck with it, I wonder if you could do some searching on a Camaro forum or something to see if someone makes parts or something to make this swap easier, surely you are not the first guy to want to ditch cease fire injection?

yuh
    most though drop in a carb 350 and call it a day
    i want something to have fun and drive day to day, and a carb isnt what i was lookin for...
    thanks alot thus far guys!

bigbluebrougham is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacETC1997 View Post
    yuh
    most though drop in a carb 350 and call it a day
    i want something to have fun and drive day to day, and a carb isnt what i was lookin for...
    thanks alot thus far guys!
    You are welcome. My knowledge only goes so far. I agree with ewill3rd in looking in the camaro forum to see if there are some pointers on how to go about fixing the problems you have said. I am sure there is an article in CarCraft about this. They do a lot of cheap swaps on older cars. I would read some of those online articles they have. That is where I got my start on motors and cars and stuff. I am one of the few in my entire family that is interested in this stuff!

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Would it work to use a Vortec 305/350 bracketry?

boatman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I think there might be oil pan cross member problems, but, check camaroz28.com for info

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.