My Car Runs Crappy....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, My Car Runs Crappy.... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; It's odd, when I start my car it runs so low it sounds like it's going to stall. After I ...
    DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K/10

My Car Runs Crappy....

It's odd, when I start my car it runs so low it sounds like it's going to stall. After I drop the fast idle, the low idle sounds terrible. Any ideas why this is happening and how to fix it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

pimpin88 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 STS, 92 Roadmaster, 01 SLS-sold, 88 Brougham-crushed

Re: My Car Runs Crappy....

Must be those darn 307 stickers you put on it. lol.

Anyways, are your vacuum hoses pretty new, or are some of them cracked. That may cause it.

I've got more 307 decals if you want one......

All the vac lines are good, I replaced any subpar ones in the spring. If this helps, I took the car for a spin around the block today and after driving for a few minutes it ran normally so it only happens when the car is cold. I let it run at fast idle for about a minute before dropping it, once I drop it the idle gets so low it sounds like it's gonna stall......

Gwokable is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

go back to basics:

Fuel
    Spark
    Airflow

makes the reaction go. To much or too little of one, and nothing works right.

Air: Filter, snorkel/thermac, carb choke, carb itself, EVAP system, exhaust.

Spark: Plugs, wires, distributor, coil, wiring, timing.

Fuel: Fuel pump, lines, Fuel filter (big one), Throttle position sensor (in carb), Carb itself.

Most of the time I find the electrical system is at fault. On these old cars it's usually been years since anyone even so much as thought of working with the electronics.

Rick186 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

If it's carburated, could it be coming off the high-idle cam too fast?
    That was a tuning problem I had with carb cars in the past.

So you think it might be an adjustment issue?

Gwokable is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

How much is it shaking when it's ready to stall? If the car shakes a lot then that means some pistons aren't firing properly and it's an issue with fuel/air/spark mix. Otherwise, it's likely it's getting either too much or too little fuel, or due to a cold engine, not enough ignition.

Additionally, the 307 gets its heat data from a coolant temperature sensor as well as the MAP sensor; Manifold vacuum increases due to the engine heat as the car warms up and adjusts several things within the vacuum system. If both of these means of collecting data are absent, the OBC will allow the engine to warm up for 30 seconds before allowing the high idle cam to be dropped when you press on the pedal and the engine will be so cold it'll stall. Otherwise, it high-idles until you step on the pedal. You can troubleshoot that one by allowing it to warm up for 5 minutes then driving it around and seeing if it's heat-related.

The other thing you want to check is to see if you have negative or positive vacuum on the ILC (idle lever control). Some vacuum system configurations, like on my car before I fixed it, will put positive pressure into the ILC, causing the screw to draw back into the ILC and choke the air intake too much. It needs negative pressure from the manifold (meaning, it needs the manifold to suck air out of it to push the screw foward). This can be checked by taking the air snorkel off and observing the two small barrels on the carb. As the car warms up, they should slowly open completly and when you kick it into low idle they should be over halfway open.

I tried again today and I noticed that when I dropped the fast idle, it did it for no more than a couple seconds, then fixed itself. It was significantly warmer today than the other days I did this (close to 70*) so something sticks when it's cold and doesn't get it's full movement. Possibly the ILC like Gwokable mentioned. I've confirmed now that it's got to be heat related. So in summary, it just needs more warm up time? I usually let it run for about a minute before dropping it.

RocketFast321 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Buick Electra Estate Wagon aka Country Cadillac

Have you tried a little carb cleaner?

eldorado99 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFast321 View Post
    Have you tried a little carb cleaner?
    Nah his carb is brand new if I remember right.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.