1993 fleetwood performance
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, 1993 fleetwood performance in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; been gone awhile (deployment), but now that im back, im curious. what are my options to pep my caddy up? ...
    daddywithacaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1993 fleetwood performance

been gone awhile (deployment), but now that im back, im curious. what are my options to pep my caddy up? i know im one year short on haveing an LT1. but surely the 5.7 cant be useless. any ideas, (gear,exhaust, etc.) would be greatly appreaciated. thanks
    TraviS

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ShadowLvr400 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood

Re: 1993 fleetwood performance

Follow the standard rules of thumb.
    1. Intake. (Under $100)
    2. Exhaust. Flowmaster, Dynomax, etc are the most common. (300-600 depending on how you choose)
    3. Gears. 3.73 -4.10 are common for racers, I like 3.42, it's a very solid, all around performer. (800 or so for a posi build)
    4. Shift kit and stall converter. It allows some tranny slip to keep the engine more in its rev band. (800 or so as well, might be more)
    5. Cam/Heads teardown and buildup. Depends

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Well if you have the tow package then you're all set on gears . If you don't, something like 3.73's are a good start or whatever they were.

The engine is a standard L05 Chevy 350. Lots and lots of aftermarket stuff for them and plenty of room in the engine bay to use it. I always wanted to do a Vortec head conversion on mine. You can buy the COMPLETE kit for $1300.

Headers, cam to match the Vortec heads and intake. You could easily get 350HP out of that engine. Easily.

We were posting at the same time LOL

I personally think you'll get a lot more for a lot less money than with an LT1.
    Ownership:
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

The LO5's weak point is the heads. They can be ported to flow about as well as stock vortecs, but only if you're good with headwork. However, a simple cam swap even with the stock heads can net another 60 ft. lbs. easily; the factory cam is a broomstick. Summit sells full-length headers for the Fleetwood, and for not too much money. Be weary of changing the rear gears to too high a ratio, the LO5 does not like to rev, peak torque is at 2000 rpms and by 4000 rpm the engine is out of breath. However, with the right gears, that 2000 rpm band is great! If you want to start cheap, I would advance your timing about 10-12 degrees, because the factory TBI timing is very conservative. Next, I would find exhuast, because exhuast is an upgrade that allows the other upgrades that follow it to work more effectively. After exhuast I would swap the cam, then the heads, and eventually the rear-end.

daddywithacaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

so with the timing how do i know if i have gone to far or not enough?

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Well, the knock sensor will take care of any detonation if the timing is too far advanced. Since the timing curve is already programmed into the computer, all advancing the timing does is shift the entire curve. This means total advance hits sooner. I notice the most difference in power during mid-throttle acceleration. I suppose you could advance the timing maybe 2 degrees at a time, and make a 0-60 run, then change the timing again, re-run, till you get what works best.

RobDeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

How are things going for the original poster? Pick up any seat of the pants power?

BCs71 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (some show and some go!)

I recently bought a 1992 Caprice wagon with the same L05 motor. Here is a post in which I received some good links for power/economy upgrades on the L05:

http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/for...TOPIC_ID=40558

Intake and exhaust are the best upgrades. Then later a TBI upgrade chip.
    The stock LT1 cam seems to be a popular choice if you want to do some engine surgery.
    Be sure to research the Ultimate TBI mod on the thirdgen.org site also.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.