96 Fleetwood Brougham Exhaust Manifold Bolts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, 96 Fleetwood Brougham Exhaust Manifold Bolts in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello - just read in another post about the exhaust manifold bolts being a problem - can someone tell me ...
    PersianLimeFiremist is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham; 1963 Model 62 Coupe; 1974 Eldo Conv

96 Fleetwood Brougham Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Hello - just read in another post about the exhaust manifold bolts being a problem - can someone tell me more or direct me to where this info is? Thanks, Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Re: 96 Fleetwood Brougham Exhaust Manifold Bolts

The info isn't really posted anywhere specific, but here's a few good links:

http://impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ult...;f=21;t=004252
    http://impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ult...=009899#000000
    http://impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ult...=011118#000000
    http://impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ult...=008964#000000

Basically, they'll either break in half or the heads just snap off, and you're left with a slight leak and a bolt with no head stuck in the head--that has to be removed somehow. One "fix" is higher grade bolts, usually Grade-8 vs. the Grade-5 they used factory. I bought a set someone was selling on Ebay as a "kit", and still have them sitting in the package. This is an old link, but is what I got:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-Ca...spagenameZWDVW

From what I've read though, people have still had these break too, so they've used others (some mentioned in the threads above).

BCs71 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (some show and some go!)

If you have an exhaust leak at the manifold then the nasties aren't making it past the oxygen sensors.... the sensor is getting false data and therefore reports back to the PCM incorrect data. The PCM corrects by sending bad air/fuel trims.
    This will decrease MPG, shorten engine/cat converter life, and decrease power.
    I would suggest getting the bolts replaced ASAP if you have an issue.

Some folks have been able to double up on gaskets (or use a really thick one) and "band-aid" the leak for awhile.

Often times the driver's side rear bolt breaks (most common one) and there is another fix if you have patience and guts. I've fixed mine this way before and can atest to it working. There is an unused bolt hole just forward of the rearmost bolt. You can drill a small hole through the manifold (and consequently the gasket) when removed from the car and add a small headed bolt (allen works best since head is very close to primary tube) to secure the manifold. Then you can just leave the broken off bolt in the head and forgettaboutit.

Removing the bolt (involes either drilling with a 90 degree attachment or welding) can be costly and very difficult.

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

You know, we checked mine and I do believe all the manifold bolts are there (or at least you could still see the head), but with some of the common symptoms like bad fuel mileage (anymore mine is just getting worse and worse), a decrease in power (light, but still noticeable), and even a weird "crack" sound I sometimes get at a warm start-up (no idea, but maybe related), I think I need to check mine again.

The links I posted, I had read, but I still wonder then what really the best choice would be for bolts. I have a "set" of the Grade-8 ones a guy sells from time to time, but it seems like even those fail--or at least did for a few people.

BCs71 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (some show and some go!)

I'd say that any grade 8 bolt from the hardware store beats the crappy grade 5s that GM used in the cars when built. That is where I picked up bolts, right out of the bins at the hardware store. Just be sure to use grade 8s and take in the old bolts to use for measuring up length.

Otherwise GM actually has a repair kit with upgraded bolts (includes all studs, bolts, spacers, etc. for both manifolds). Dal will give you the best price and can better explain the contents, but I'm pretty sure these are grade 8s that were used as a fix since the manifold bolt issue was so common.

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

Grade 8, Grade 5... they are both usable, just depends on how much you will spend. Just remember to slobber all the bolts with never-seize... you will never have any problems again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.