Occasional vibration/stumble
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Occasional vibration/stumble in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello, my 86 Fleetwood drives like a dream but from time to time i get the following problem: If i ...
    rollerball is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Occasional vibration/stumble

Hello,

my 86 Fleetwood drives like a dream but from time to time i get the following problem: If i cruise at a higher speed (65 mp/h) and then let off the gas to lose speed down to a lower speed (30 mp/h) and then step on the gas again sometimes the engine/transmission starts to vibrate/stumble. It feels as if the transmission is still locked in overdrive so that the engine has to try to move the car at a much too low rpm. But maybe it is something else - this is only my guess. Maybe it is a carb issue? I have read the thread about the problem with the engine dying after a curve and i must say that this also happened twice after i made a sharp turn at higher speed (highway offramp)

It does it only from time to time but often enough to make me worry...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Re: Occasional vibration/stumble

Yup, that's the torque converter solenoid in your transmission. You need a new one. It's not letting the locking torque converter unluck when you hit the gas.

ChiTDI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '86 Brougham

This may help. I haven't done it yet, but spring is coming.
    http://www.montecarloss.com/TCC_Sole...tml#Definition

Thank you guys! Is this a common problem? Shouldnīt it happen all the time and not only from time to time? I am no mechanic so i doubt my own diagnosis. I talked to a dealers mechanic today and he guessed that it could be an ignition problem....

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

When it begins to fail, I would imagine it would work sometimes still, when it fails completely, you'll know.

There is one thing that makes me doubt that it is the torque converter: The car only begins to stumble when i get back on the gas. If the converter was locked it would start to vibrate as soon as a certain low speed ist reached wich makes it hard for the engine to still run in such a high gear. I will take it to the daler on monday. Letīs hope it is only a minor issue.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.