LS1 in 88 brougham?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, LS1 in 88 brougham? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am wondering what parts i will need to put an 04 LS1 into my 88 Fleetwood brougham. The car ...
    kngofhrts88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 88 Fleetwood Brougham

LS1 in 88 brougham?

I am wondering what parts i will need to put an 04 LS1 into my 88 Fleetwood brougham. The car currently has a 307 in it but i want to upgrade.

My friend wrecked his 04 corvette and offered to sell me the motor cheap. I have access to everything on the car if need be. (it was rearended). Id want to switch the trans but what is required for that? How about the rear, could i make it work or??

Basically i need a list of what ill need to purchase for my car to do the swap, i have time (cars parked for winter) so thats not the issue, ive done motor swaps in the past but am not familiar with cadillacs. I dont wanna install another caddy motor as i hated doing work on the 307 and i already know the chevy 350 very well.

Any info would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Re: LS1 in 88 brougham?

Well, it was posted somewhere a little while ago that they make motor mounts for B/D bodies for LSx motor swaps, so that would be a good place to start. Would you get a newer auto trans? The 7.5" 10-bolt held up fine in the Grand Nash, but with 350 horses, you might want to just swap it if you're already doing all the other work anyways.

joe_padavano is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Allante

Quote Originally Posted by 90Brougham350 View Post
    The 7.5" 10-bolt held up fine in the Grand Nash, but with 350 horses, you might want to just swap it if you're already doing all the other work anyways.
    If you mean the Turbo Buick Grand Nationals, those (and the G-body 442s) all came with 8.5" axles - as do the B/D body cars.

Hmm, I thought it was a 7.5". Well, alright then, the Monte SS rear-end held up just fine with a 7.5"!

Thanks guys, anyone know where to find these motor mounts? BTW im gonna purchase the motor, trans and rear from the vette. That way everything has the same amount of miles. Any more info? thanks

Was the Corvette a manual?

im not sure, cant remember, but ill find out today, if it is, is there any easy way to do a conversion?

im not sure, cant remember, but ill find out today, if it is, is there any easy way to do a conversion from auto to manual in my car?

The guys over at the ImpalaSS forums have done a few, but on 93-96 Fleetwoods. I doubt an 88 Brougham has ever been converted.

the vette has the ls1 mated to a 6speed manual.

CadiJeff is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1981 CoupeDeville, 2 1990 Eldorados, 1994ETC ,1992STS

stupid question but isn't the trans in the rear of the newer vettes?

wifescaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cadillac srx - 73 corvette with LS1 70 chevelle ss396

You can still mate a ls1 to a older tranny,such as a 700r4 ,turbo 350 or 400 with a crank spacer and longer bolts you can get from the chevy dealer.Im running a 2004 ls1 in my 73 vette mated to a 700r4 trans.The ls1 uses one less bolt for the bolt pattern the upper right side doesnt get used,no big deal 5 work fine.You also have to use the ls1 flexplate and starter also.

http://www.gmcopo.com/engineswap.htm

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

They did a 7.5 because all they put in a Monte SS was a Chevy engine.... The GN and 442 got Buick and Olds engines respectively. They made more power (torque)...

Quote Originally Posted by 90Brougham350 View Post
    Hmm, I thought it was a 7.5". Well, alright then, the Monte SS rear-end held up just fine with a 7.5"!

Cogs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '83 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance coupe

The trans and rear end will NOT work in your car. CadiJeff is right, the trans is mounted on the rear of the Vette not to the engine.

Your stock engine and rear end will hold up to the LS1 as long as you dont beat on it. Drive conservatively and they will hold up fine. If you plan on beating on it I would suggest a beefed up 700R4 and maybe beef up the rear end a bit, no need to buy new ones really.

My stock 200-4R and 7.5" on my Monte SS have held up to beatings with 350-400hp so you should be alright. They'll be getting beefed up this summer since I just added nitrous.

This sounds like a really cool swap, I hope I see progress.

btw, I just noticed the thread is over a month old. I hope you didnt buy the trans and rear already.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Engine can be made to work (check out the other thread on it, http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-up-lt1-1.html)

Trans, not unless you are a VERY crafty individual.

7.5"s take a lot of abuse and survive, I can't tell you why, nearly all 82-02 F-Bodys came with it (except for some odd 9 bolt aussie axles that popped up for a short time) and all 93-02 cars had it too, and they don't have factory issues with blowing up axles that badly. But you do have a heavier car, so like said, don't beat on it all the time (hard to not do I know!), just plan for an Impala SS rear end of a 92-96 axle as an upgrade later on. They are cheap and easy to find on car-part.com. Check out the 93 V4P axle, which has factory 3.73's, they are seen often on car-part.com and a bolt in for the 77-93 cars.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.