Amsoil...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Amsoil... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I saw the thread here on AMsoil......I called my local stores, and no one has heard of it, or carries ...
    79caddy1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Amsoil...

I saw the thread here on AMsoil......I called my local stores, and no one has heard of it, or carries it?
    Is this something maybe just west coast?
    I am always up for trying something better in my engine and tranny. I have 90k on mine, and do not know if I can do this at that mileage?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jmeyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Amsoil...

You can find an AMSOIL Dealer near you by looking on the website at www.amsoil.com. You can also order direct from AMSOIL through their website.

JM

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

or just look at the ads to the right --->
    for an Amsoil dealer here

C66 Racing is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 79caddy1 View Post
    I saw the thread here on AMsoil......I called my local stores, and no one has heard of it, or carries it?
    Is this something maybe just west coast?
    I am always up for trying something better in my engine and tranny. I have 90k on mine, and do not know if I can do this at that mileage?
    AMSOIL is not carried in very many stores, but is pretty easy to get online. AMSOIL has 11 distribution centers located around the country that can ship directly to your house, normally in about two business days.

Info on how to order so as to benefit my dealership and the forum is in my signature. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

That has always been my frustration with Amsoil. They need to work HARD at getting into Walmart, KMart, Autozone, Napa, etc. They seem to like the MLM, which is what I didn't care for. It may work, but it isn't very fair to the customers. Think how many more customers they could have at Walmart? K&N is in Walmart now.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

I don't know if amsoil carries it, but if this is for your 79/425ci, you need an oil with a lot of ZDP since it's an old school flat tappet pushrod. It's a good lubricant when under high pressure (like between a lifter and a cam lobe.) I'd recommend Delo or Delvac diesel oil.

thanks very much!...I appreciate the info...

i don't know what ZDp is.

I didn't even know I could run diesel oil. I see that rotella at advance auto. Is that okay to use?.....or certain weight?

C66 Racing is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 79caddy1 View Post
    thanks very much!...I appreciate the info...

i don't know what ZDp is.

I didn't even know I could run diesel oil. I see that rotella at advance auto. Is that okay to use?.....or certain weight?
    Zinc dithiodialkylphosphate , or ZDDP, is one of the most common anti-wear agents in oils. Unfortunately, to reduce emissions and protect catalytic converters, the EPA and API have limited its use in the current API SM motor oils. To overcome this, oil manufacturers have had to turn to other additives. An alternative as mentioned above is to switch to a diesel oil which doesn't yet face the same limitations.

AMSOIL makes a really good, but fairly pricey synthetic diesel 5w30:AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5w30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil

Get some of your favorite oil and just add some GM EOS and call it done....

Now I am really lost.....What is GM EOS?....I am sorry to sound stupid, I know how to work on my car, but I am lost with the oil subject.

I just want to do the right thing. It don't leak or burn oil at 90k, and I wanna try and keep her right....

i should take some photos before the weather gets bad, this car was well kept for a 79.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

GM Engine Oil Supplement - essentially ZDP (or ZDDP) in a can.

What does GM recommend for how much? What is too much?

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

I want to get back in on this. My local parts guy carries Amsoil but which one to use? Am I looking at the regular ASL SAE 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil. None of the racing or high performance stuff they have. There are so many choices on their web site.

I also wanted to ask about the rating or classification seals on the oils. I know someone explained this to us with a chart or something but what rated oil is best or what should we be using for maximum life.

Often racing oil isn't best for street usage, the additive package isn't ideal for street conditions. Personally, I would stick with the std 10W30 oils. Racing oils DO often have better levels of ZDDP, but they don't control acids and soot as well.

If I had to pick a best oil? Amsoil 5W30 HDD would be the choice. But the cost is steep. Cost per $, Mobil 1 Truck/SUV is rated very high for wear and has a decent level of ZDDP.

As for TBN, Amsoil oil commonly is top dog, with a TBN of at least 12 on the top oils. Mobil's Truck oils often have this high level of TBN too. This is the Total Base Number. The higher the base, the more acid the oil can manage. BUT, too high base can also have detrimental side effects.

Anyone have any idea what dino oils have for TBN like Rotella T, Delo400 and Delvac 1300?

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

So you're talking about the (HDD) Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil shown here? Why Diesel oil?

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/hdd.aspx

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.