Amsoil... - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Amsoil... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Personally, I still would stick with a CI-4 spec oil. Amsoil has a few, I would personally recommend having the ...
    N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: Amsoil...

Personally, I still would stick with a CI-4 spec oil. Amsoil has a few, I would personally recommend having the higher levels of ZDDP still.

zanyzeuss is offline Cadillac Owners Member

dont use amsoil, i live in superior, the home base of amsoil. Al Amatuzio stole the formula. Original stuff was called all proof, but was never patented. Amsoil has very poor business practices. I've run mobil one in three 78 cad 425's, 84 4.1 eldo (with 150,000) on original 4.1, 89 4.5, 91 4.9, 94 and 96 eldo's, and 2001 deville all to well over 125,000 miles all with no internal engine problems what so ever. If GM puts mobil one it in the corvettes and cts-v it must be good stuff

I have never even heard an thought to the idea was swiped. Any documentation on it? (not saying I don't believe you, but I have never heard anything on it ever)

That is the problem with patents. If you don't patent it, you risk losing it. Now, if you DO document it, and have a witness sign and date and you sign and date, you have a legal document in court ot fight theft of it. Always document your ideas.

Honestly, I am willing to bet 1 synthetic (Group IV) to the next is soooo close that it would be nearly impossible to detect the wear difference in an ENGINE (not a "wear test" that does not simulate anything inside and engine). So it just comes down to your favorite brand is what is important.

GM is going to source who meets their spec AND cost. Amsoil can't compete with Mobil 1. Their business model won't allow it. Until they ditch the MLM, they are doomed to be a small not terribly well respected company. Remember, GM didn't put in Mobil 1 for wear, they did it so they could remove the oil cooler. They needed the improve oil performance over the pertroleum oil performance with an oil cooler. Oil coolers are a cost to install, they can leak, so they can be a warranty issue. Voila, GM solved 2 issues with going to Mobil 1. If it costs $10 to put in the oil cooler, $10 for warranty per car for oil leaks or other issues, and it only costs $5 to change over to Mobil 1 in the car (you think GM is gonna pay retail?). They MADE money by going to Mobil 1....

Honestly looking at the bottle specs, Mobil 1 and Walmart "supertech" oil are awfully similar. Makes me wonder... SuperTech 5W30, like Mobil 1, is one of the very few synthetics that meets CF spec at all. Most all so called synthetics don't meet CF spec (diesel). If it doesn't meet any part of the diesel spec, I won't run it. Anyone know?

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Angry Re: Amsoil...

Yah know this board kills me. All the discussion, comparison and so on. I become convinced that Amsoil is the greatest thing on earth, spend $50 to change the oil in 1 of my cars and then you guys do this crap.

Same thing happened with my Volant CAI. Everyone talked it up made it sound great and as soon as I got one and installed it everyone was telling me I wasted my money.

WTF. I'm really starting to get pissed.
    Ownership:
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

I am not saying it is bad product, quite the contrary, probably the best synthetic oil out there. BUT, I am frustrated at the business model. I used to be able to pickup most grades at the local NAPA, now I can't, NAPA is ditching them. Frustrating....

If I had the $$, all my vehicles would be running Amsoil (my Cad does have 75W90 gear oil now and Amsoil ATF in the power steering).

How much better is the question. No one really knows. I honestly haven't had the $$ to afford $9 per quart of Amsoil HDD 5W30. So I have to use Walmart SuperTech 5W30 or Mobil 1 5W30. The price is so inflated to cover the MLM stuff.

Ooohhhhhh. Whew. yeah it is pretty costly. My local guy sells it to me for $7.99. I almost didn't do it because of that. I put it in the 93 FWB the next time the N* is due I'll put it in that too.

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH View Post
    I am not saying it is bad product, quite the contrary, probably the best synthetic oil out there. BUT, I am frustrated at the business model. I used to be able to pickup most grades at the local NAPA, now I can't, NAPA is ditching them. Frustrating....

If I had the $$, all my vehicles would be running Amsoil (my Cad does have 75W90 gear oil now and Amsoil ATF in the power steering).

How much better is the question. No one really knows. I honestly haven't had the $$ to afford $9 per quart of Amsoil HDD 5W30. So I have to use Walmart SuperTech 5W30 or Mobil 1 5W30. The price is so inflated to cover the MLM stuff.
    Ownership:
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom PCM
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams

Memberships:

Highway Star is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 Coupe Deville

Wasn't there a guy that got 600,000+ miles out of a 70's Caddy 425 (Guinness record holder) before it needed a rebuild? I'd like to track him down and find out what oil he was using. That's probably the oil I would go with.

Can't argue with 600K....

Mine LT1 is at 208K now, it likely ran petrolum oil up to 140K and I run synthetic from time to time since. Doesnt burn at all, a leaks a little at the rear seal....

My 4.5 STS, which everyone hates and says the 4.5's were crap, has 220k on it and always used Valvoline 10W-30 with some flavor of oil treatment. The car still runs like hell. The intake leaks oil but it doesn't burn any and still runs strong.

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH View Post
    Can't argue with 600K....

Mine LT1 is at 208K now, it likely ran petrolum oil up to 140K and I run synthetic from time to time since. Doesnt burn at all, a leaks a little at the rear seal....
    Ownership:
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom PCM
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams

Memberships:

C66 Racing is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by codewize View Post
    Yah know this board kills me. All the discussion, comparison and so on. I become convinced that Amsoil is the greatest thing on earth, spend $50 to change the oil in 1 of my cars and then you guys do this crap.

Same thing happened with my Volant CAI. Everyone talked it up made it sound great and as soon as I got one and installed it everyone was telling me I wasted my money.

WTF. I'm really starting to get pissed.
    I understand your frustration, but don't let one guy's opinion, stated without factual backup, sway your decision. I use AMSOIL in my Corvette, which I race, not because I sell AMSOIL. I use it because I honestly feel its the best. I started selling it after I started using it. The amount of money my team makes selling AMSOIL is peanuts compared to the cost of a new Vette motor and I lost one while running Mobil 1. I'll keep using AMSOIL.

AMSOIL's MLM method does turn a lot of people off and gives the company a bad reputation in many circles, but I tend to look at it in another way. The founder of AMSOIL, Al Amatuzio was a former USAF fighter pilot and squadron commander. He noted his jets used synthetic lubricants and felt that the benefits of synthetic could be brought to the automotive market. When he retired he started his own company and marketed the first synthetic to exceed API standards. As a retired military officer, he did not have the deep pockets of the big oil companies. I believe he chose to market his product at a lower startup cost using the MLM method. Many reputable companies use this method including Mary Kay, Snap-On, Discovery Toys, etc. AMSOIL has been using this method successfully for over three decades now. He has been recognized by many reputable publications for his push for synthetics in the marketplace and I personally feel that without AMSOIL, you wouldn't be seeing as many synthetics on the market today as you do. Here is a sample:
    http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1179.pdf

At this point, AMSOIL has something like 80,000 plus dealers nationwide. Of these, about 400 or so that have taken the time to become certified dealers (by completing a course of study on lubrication) and reached sales levels to become qualified as AMSOIL Direct Jobbers (I'm one of them). AMSOIL is very loyal to this dealer network. A few years ago a large retail chain offered AMSOIL a very large contract ( something like $40 million) to carry AMSOIL. AMSOIL declined the offer.

I also feel their corporate method is to gain sales by making a better product. Mobil 1 is a good oil, but they are beholded to a board of directors and share holders. AMSOIL is not. A few years ago, Mobil 1 released a new line of oil called Extended Performance oils. At the time they advertised that this new line had about 50% more anti-wear additives and detergents than the base Mobil 1. If they felt Mobil 1 was so good, why did they release this new line of oil? I believe it was because of loss of market share to AMSOIL. FYI, Mobil 1 EP is rated by Mobil for 15k miles of use, AMSOIL’s main line of SAE synthetics is rated for 25k miles of use (or one year whichever comes first). Here is a sample of articles mentioning the differences in corporate philosophy:
    Motor Drain Intervals: How Long Must We Wait?
    Motor Oil Drain Intervals: An Ethical Burden?

In answer to some of the comments above about all synthetics being nearly equal, I don’t believe that to be true either, but that is a matter of scale. As I mentioned above, an oil is made up of two main constituents; its basestock and its additives. As can be seen from Mobil’s own advertisements, their base Mobil 1 had about 50% less anti-wear and detergent additives than their newer EP. That, in my opinion is a fairly wide variance. If you want to see how that translates to different performance in several oil performance related metrics, read these AMSOIL commissioned studies:
    Comparative Motor Oil Test Nov 05
    Comparative Motor Oil Test Dec 03

I do feel that translates to improved performance in real world applications as well. This is a used oil analysis report from one of my customers cars, in this case a 99 Corvette C5 Fixed Rood Coue (predecessor to the Z06):
    Corvette C5 AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30 Used Oil Analysis Report
    Note: The 1st sample was German Castrol Synthetic 0w30, the most recent two were AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 0w30

Compare the levels of wear metals in his sample (primarily aluminum, iron, copper and lead) to the universal averages for that lab and that motor family). They are about 25-50% of the labs average for that motor family. As most of those samples submitted are probably using the factory fill Mobil 1, I feel this does validate improved real world performance of AMSOIL synthetics.

Finally, for those willing to order online, you can get AMSOIL products shipped directly to your house at wholesale pricing, the same price I pay as a dealer and about 20-25% under retail:
    AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program

Is there a Cadillac 4.x that doesn't leak oil on the intake? Every one that I have seen does....

Quote Originally Posted by codewize View Post
    My 4.5 STS, which everyone hates and says the 4.5's were crap, has 220k on it and always used Valvoline 10W-30 with some flavor of oil treatment. The car still runs like hell. The intake leaks oil but it doesn't burn any and still runs strong.

bicentennialcadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '76 Fleetwood Brougham, '79 Sedan deVille

Why on earth was this moved to the Chevy forums? The OP has a 425.

Silly moderators....

JohnnyO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 Eldorado, '04 DeVille

Mobil 1 Extended Performance has extra ZDDP in it. Valvoline Max Life does too, as well as the Max Life oil additive. On a '79 I'd run either a diesel 15-40 or Max Life 10w-30 or 40.
    Amsoil is pricey and a '79 is past the point where it would see any benefit from running a sythetic, plus yeah, they like the MLM sales model (think Mary Kay or Amway for oil). .02.

Amway?? Yuk! They got such a bad name they changed it and are like all web stores now. Ugly....

Are they allowed to have extra ZDDP in if it is a SM spec oil? Isn't that against the SM spec?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.