Where does this go on my 307
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Where does this go on my 307 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; 1. I always wonder where this pipe went. Also is it bad that the thing circle broke off from the ...
    RocketFast321 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Buick Electra Estate Wagon aka Country Cadillac

Where does this go on my 307

1. I always wonder where this pipe went. Also is it bad that the thing circle broke off from the down-pipe.

2. What vacume line goes to this?

The car runs well for it's age. No stalling or draging. I push the gas and it goes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

joe_padavano is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Allante

Re: Where does this go on my 307

The first picture is the check valve for one of the air injector mainfolds. This is part of the system that uses the air pump to pump air into the exhaust manifolds to allow more complete burning of unburned hydrocarbons. The check valve prevents exhaust gas from coming out - it's a one-way valve. If it's broken, you may have an exhaust leak.

The second item is the actuator for the exhaust crossover valve (also known as the EFE system, which stands for early fuel evaporation). While the engine is cold, this vacuum actuator closes a flapper valve in the exhaust manifold. This causes the exhaust from this side to flow through a passage under the carb, heating the fuel for easier evaporation. Once the engine warms up, the computer triggers a vacuum valve that pulls this flapper open and allows normal exhaust flow. If the EFE system isn't working properly, you'll have a restricted exhaust and loss of power.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

That is precisely correct...

Quote Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
    The first picture is the check valve for one of the air injector mainfolds. This is part of the system that uses the air pump to pump air into the exhaust manifolds to allow more complete burning of unburned hydrocarbons. The check valve prevents exhaust gas from coming out - it's a one-way valve. If it's broken, you may have an exhaust leak.

The second item is the actuator for the exhaust crossover valve (also known as the EFE system, which stands for early fuel evaporation). While the engine is cold, this vacuum actuator closes a flapper valve in the exhaust manifold. This causes the exhaust from this side to flow through a passage under the carb, heating the fuel for easier evaporation. Once the engine warms up, the computer triggers a vacuum valve that pulls this flapper open and allows normal exhaust flow. If the EFE system isn't working properly, you'll have a restricted exhaust and loss of power.
    I do have a exhaust leak, motor sounds real nice by the pass. door. But where does it connect to on the motor so it looks like it is connected.

I don't know if it works or not do to the fact that their is no vacuum line on it. i need to know what line connects to it

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

The EFE valve goes to the little box on the drivers side valve cover. The 307 likes the EFE, when it is cold out. It does help.

As for which side, I don't remember, but I am 95% sure it is the one of the 2 bottom lines, not the top one. Likely the back one. The other goes to the rear vacuum break, and IIRC, the top one goes to the EGR.

All the box does it switch vacuum on/off per the PCM.

EFE stuck closed will cause intake overheating. EFE with missing line will cause slower than normal warmups, primarily in the cooler climates. But likely will not affect tailpipe emissions that are tested. But it will cause some higher HC emissions when cold.

Thanks N0DIH. I will into it will it stops raining

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Over time these valves (alot like a butterfly in a carb) start to get sticky. The best way to really clean an EFE up is to unbolt it and clean it outside of the car. You can see the valve then and really lubricate it to work well.

I don't recommend REMOVING the EFE and driving, as it places the exhaust pipe closer to the starter likely reducing it's life.

Unless you find the older longer pipe say from a 76 and older 350 (have to check if it had EFE or not). Or going to duals....

joe_padavano is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Allante

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH View Post
    I don't recommend REMOVING the EFE and driving, as it places the exhaust pipe closer to the starter likely reducing it's life.

Unless you find the older longer pipe say from a 76 and older 350 (have to check if it had EFE or not). Or going to duals....
    In fact, you can't leave the EFE out without major surgery on the down pipe. The EFE bolts to the manifold with a flat flange and gasket, whereas the bottom of the EFE has a tapered seat that the flare on the exhaust pipe seals against. Leave the EFE out and you can't seal the pipe to the manifold. Now, you may be able to use an earlier 350 Olds manifold on that side, but you'd need to compare the two side-by-side.

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

No no, I'm not saying take out the EFE completely, I'm saying removing it to clean it and get it working again, then putting it back in is more effective.

BTW the car is a 84 Buick Electra Estate Wagon

Well I had to replace the lower radiator hose again. Note to self. Do not try to remove the hose with a screw driver when replacing water-pump.

But i did see where the air-hose went. I wonder how this happen. (This was taken way back in Feb. when i got it. It had a bad valve cover leak, and was leaking fuel out the inlet.)

I will look for the EFE line tomorrow. Also I found out why my check engine light never came on. The bulb was missing. So I replace the light and it did not come on, so I'm thinking all is good. I but tried to pull some codes just in-case. I got two.

1. Coolant Temp Switch, replace it since that was $5 (code went away)
    2. Vss, well no sh!t my speed gear in the tranny needs to be replace.

And i have a third one I call it the ghost code. The light does not come on in city driving only when i push it on the interstate. But when I turn the car off and turn it back on the light turns off, And the only code in the system is the VSS. Does this mean my o2 is going? It looks like the OEM one too.

Johnny Bravo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by 90Brougham350 View Post
    No no, I'm not saying take out the EFE completely, I'm saying removing it to clean it and get it working again, then putting it back in is more effective.
    Warning. Those exhaust manifold studs are notorious for snapping off, if that happens you've got a major problem. Exhaust manifold needs to come off, broken stud drilled, threads heli-coil, etc. (not easy).

I wouldn't touch the exhaust manifold studs unless absolutely necessary.

I have found 307s do well with EFE, and removing it isn't always the best.

Yup, I hate dealing with exhaust manifold studs.....

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH View Post

As for which side, I don't remember, but I am 95% sure it is the one of the 2 bottom lines, not the top one. Likely the back one. The other goes to the rear vacuum break, and IIRC, the top one goes to the EGR.

shoot forgot to update y'all.
    On that control box all the lines run to somthing. Nothing is free.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.