89 Brougham Acceleration Issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, 89 Brougham Acceleration Issue in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 1989 Brougham with the Olds 307 in it, and back in may, it started to have trouble ...
    Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

89 Brougham Acceleration Issue

I have a 1989 Brougham with the Olds 307 in it, and back in may, it started to have trouble accelerating during a trip back from boston. It started out that it wouldn't go over 60. It wouldn't just top out, either, it would studder and hesitate and almost act like it was going to shift into third. I figured it sounded like a tranny problem. During the course of the ride home, the car's top speed continued to drop, and i ended up hobbling home at 35 miles an hour, so that sort of disrupted my tanny theory.

I took it to my mechanic's, and he said it was a clogged catalytic converter. Instead of buying a new one, and with inspections a long time away, i opted to just bypass the cat altogether. Unable to find a bypass pipe to replace it with (what with them being all illegal and such) I took the cat and completley hollowed it out. This seemed to have done the trick, along with making my exhaust system reverberate with an intensity i've only heard in diesel rigs. A High speed highway test proved it to be successful, however, without the ability to accelerate beyond 80, with the same symptoms. since i never usually go that fast, i figured i'd let it slide and deal with it at a future date.

Now it's september, and the other day on the highway, i started experiencing the same problems all over again. at around 60 miles an hour. THen as before, it started to happen at lower speeds, until now, once again, it's difficult to get it over 40.

I have no idea what it could be, and my mechanic has moved out of town and i have no way to contact him. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rick186 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: 89 Brougham Acceleration Issue

Plugged fuel filter(s)?

Might just could be, I was thinking that too. I'm going to replace that tomorrow and see what happens.

DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K/10

What's the estimated replacement schedule on fuel filters?

I dunno. I heard every 6 months from someone. I also heard to do it with every other oil change. I know the previous owner of my car must have done it somewhat regularly because when i bought the car from him, i found a box of parts in the trunk, along with a couple of fuel filters, so he was definitley up on it's maintenance.

DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K/10

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Giovanni View Post
    I dunno. I heard every 6 months from someone. I also heard to do it with every other oil change. I know the previous owner of my car must have done it somewhat regularly because when i bought the car from him, i found a box of parts in the trunk, along with a couple of fuel filters, so he was definitley up on it's maintenance.
    Makes sence.... I should look into replacing my fuel filter then, mine's over a year old....

It turns out it was the fuel filter, the brougham runs like a champ now. The filter had quite a bit of deposit on it when i changed it, and i know i haven't changed it for about a year and half. So i suppose doing it at least once a year is good. The futting ont he gas lien was rounded off to the extreme, so i know someone had been changing it, poorly at that. Oh well.

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

Every 15k or so ill take the fuel filter out and actually blow into it, I have had filters that i could not blow through!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.