307-occasional (oil) smoke from tailpipe
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, 307-occasional (oil) smoke from tailpipe in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Is this a telltale sign that the engine is on it's last leg? It emits a brief, yet noticeable plume ...
    Cadillac_Fan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '92 Brougham d'Elegance 305; '98 Seville STS

307-occasional (oil) smoke from tailpipe

Is this a telltale sign that the engine is on it's last leg? It emits a brief, yet noticeable plume of oil smoke from the exhaust when I step on the accelerator on the highway. I don't care that it's burning and leaking oil too much, I just hope I can get a little more life out of my '88 Brougham before I have to say goodbye to her. Should I refrain from driving this more than three continuous hours? Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kdrolt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 307-occasional (oil) smoke from tailpipe

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac_Fan View Post
    Is this a telltale sign that the engine is on it's last leg? It emits a brief, yet noticeable plume of oil smoke from the exhaust when I step on the accelerator on the highway. I don't care that it's burning and leaking oil too much, I just hope I can get a little more life out of my '88 Brougham before I have to say goodbye to her. Should I refrain from driving this more than three continuous hours? Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.
    I used to know how to tell the difference between oil smoke from leavy valve stem seals, vs leaky rings, from observing what happens during driving vs coasting. Anyone remember?

Another way is a compression test on each cylinder because it's a direct test of the ring seal.... assuming the valves + valve seats are OK. And valve stem seals can be replaced without going inside the engine.

Cadillac_Fan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '92 Brougham d'Elegance 305; '98 Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by kdrolt View Post
    I used to know how to tell the difference between oil smoke from leavy valve stem seals, vs leaky rings, from observing what happens during driving vs coasting. Anyone remember?

Another way is a compression test on each cylinder because it's a direct test of the ring seal. And valve stem seals can be replaced without going inside the engine.
    That would be a blessing if I did not have to get a rebuild. Thanks for giving me some hope with my tired 307!

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

The "Great Blue Cloud" you see when you first start the car is usually a pretty simple indicator of bad seals.

boatman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

hey, at least the upper cylinders are well lubed!

Hammondsix is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Fleetwood 94

Let the car idle for 10 mins. Rev it and observe. If the engine emits a blue cloud and stops smoking afterward, youre probably looking at valve seals. if the smoke is continous and not just puffs, its probably rings. If you need to change valve seals i suggest you go to www.lincolnsonline.com, They are experts on that particular issue

Johnny Bravo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Good news and bad news.

The bad news: Visible blue smoke is a sure sign the engine is well past the point of simply replacing valve stems seals.
    Furthermore, even if it was only the valve stem seals replacing them would be a temporary, bad-aid fix as the valve guides are no doubt worn as well.
    Moreover, if the motor still has the original nylon geared timing set that is a time bomb and should be more of a concern than a little blue smoke.

The good news: The 307 Oldsmobile engine is hard to kill and can run for a long time even if it burns oil, albeit at reduced performance, fuel economy and emissions.

I'd run a heavy-duty 15w-40 deisel motor oil, topped off frequently.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.