chevy 350 in 80's flerrtwood broughm
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, chevy 350 in 80's flerrtwood broughm in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; so i have a chevy 350 out of an elcamino.actually the engine came out of a chevelle then got put ...
    broughm delegance is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

chevy 350 in 80's flerrtwood broughm

so i have a chevy 350 out of an elcamino.actually the engine came out of a chevelle then got put in the camino. anywho, i want to swap this carburated engine into an 80's fleetwood broughm delegance. how hard is this process and what does it entail me doing. i need to know because this is going to be my senior project at bothell highschool. i have the mechanical knowledge to do the swap as long as i can see if it can be done. so yea what do i need to change; tranny, drivtrain, subframe, i have no idea someone please help me

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Re: chevy 350 in 80's flerrtwood broughm

The easiest way for you to do this swap would be with a 90-92 parts car sitting next to your Fleetwood. The 90-92 Broughams had optional TBI 350's from the factory, and 91-92 have TBI 305's standard. This way, you could get the engine mounts and everything you need and have it right there to work with.

broughm delegance is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

ok, thats sounds good. but that didnt really tell me anything, will the cadillacs tranny mate with the 350 or shud i use my t350. and wat else. since its carburated what do i have to do with this beasts computer. basiacally is this about to be a hard ass process cuz im a senior and i have a budget. i really want to put this 350 in it cuz i have it fully built pushing about 450 hp maybe close to 500. and chevy moters are easy to work on. PLEASE HELP ME I NEED A STEP BY STEP WALK THROUGH OR JUST A GOOD GENERAL IDEA.

CadiJeff is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1981 CoupeDeville, 2 1990 Eldorados, 1994ETC ,1992STS

the mid 80's(1986-89) rwd cadi's used the Olds 307 not the chevy 305 so there are differences in the tranny bolt pattern (IIRC) so you would have to deal with that. Since you are putting out that kind of power I would suggest changing the tranny anyway (to something stronger). you might need to do the same with the rear diff as well.
    other than just having one laying around, why the chevy 350?
    A cadi 472 or 500 or even an olds 455 would be alot easier(near direct swap) and could easily make similar power and more torque than a 350 for the same money, and they are not hard to work on either.

CadiJeff is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1981 CoupeDeville, 2 1990 Eldorados, 1994ETC ,1992STS

also what year cadi is it?

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Re: chevy 350 swap

90-96s used SBCs (94-96 was the LT1,) it should be a fairly straightforward swap.

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

The 350 should bolt right up to the TH400 in the Caddy right now, but as CadiJeff has mentioned, you may wish to change the tranny as well, because engines and transmissions age at roughly the same rate, so if the stock TH400 in the Brougham has many miles on it and you stick a stout SBC with close to 500hp in front of it, the tranny will put you in the shop in a month or less. So with that in mind, you've got to think about the rest of the drivetrain. If you have an 82-89 Fleetwood Brougham, you have a 7.5" 10-bolt rear-end that again, may not last too long with 500 horses.

FASSTWOOD is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: chevy 350 swap

Which Mid 80's caddy. Your best best is maybe finding a donor car for all the brackets. Or try to at least find the motor mounts brackets from a 90's fleetwood that came with the 350 sbc. This way It will line up nicely. Your gonna need to swap the engine along with the tranny too. the tranny thats in the caddy now will not line up with the chevy bolt pattern. It might actually be easier to find caprice engine mounts and brackets at a local junk yard than the caddy ones. Those will work too... As long as the chevy had an 8 cylinder 4.3 , 5.0 or 5.7 sbc...

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

Mounts and everything else you need are readilly available at any parts store. Also im pretty sure your going to have an electronically controlled tranny out of the car which will require an electronic fuel system to be on the engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.