Car Won't Run...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Car Won't Run... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; It's odd, I just tried to go out and my car ran just fine until I tried to drop the ...
    DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K10

Car Won't Run...

It's odd, I just tried to go out and my car ran just fine until I tried to drop the idle. I dropped it and it sputtered and stalled. Everytime I tried to restart it it would do the same unless I gave it gas. Even in drive gears the same thing. Anyone got any ideas? I'd appreciate it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

pimpin88 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 STS, 92 Roadmaster, 01 SLS-sold, 88 Brougham-crushed

Re: Car Won't Run...

Cant tell too much from the description, but maybe check the fuel filter. Last winter, I was out at a ski resort near us, and when I went to leave the car started and ran for about 30 seconds. Enough for me to just begin pulling out of my parking spot. All of a sudden it sputtered and died. I was able to start it one more time and it did the same thing after about 3 seconds. Ended up replacing the fuel pump, and all it was was the fuel filter.

check your vaccuum lines too

FASSTWOOD is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

Check for spark first. If you got spark then move on to fuel... I think checking for spark would be easier than checking for other things first. Some times those little fuel filters do clog up outta no where it might be that. But eliminate the ignition as the culprit before you move on...

an easy way to check for fuel is to look down into the carb with the engine off, and pump the gas. see if there is some spray going into the carb.

DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K10

Ok, update. I just tried it now and it runs fine. Started right up, let it run on high idle for about a minute, then dropped it. It stayed running, and ran in drive gears as well. This time I let it run on high a little longer. I neglected to mention before that was the first time I started the car in 6 days. Perhaps it was a little "stiff" from sitting.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.