Distributor turning
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Distributor turning in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello. I have a 1980 Cadillac Eldorado and I have found that its timing is off by about four degrees, ...
    Eldorado guy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '80 Eldorado, '50 Chrysler Windsor, '92 Ford F-250 7.3 4x4

Distributor turning

Hello. I have a 1980 Cadillac Eldorado and I have found that its timing is off by about four degrees, which seems to be causing it to idle a little rough and start up bad.

Its distributor is so stuck, I can't get it to turn. I loosened the clamp and put WD-40 and a little penetrating oil on it and tapped it with a hammer and screw driver for probably a couple of hours, but nothing. I even hit the back of it with a sledge hammer, but still nothing!

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddydream is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Distributor turning

Should be able to put a wrench on the square part of the shaft and turn the distributor.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

I would hold off on the sledge. Apply penetrating as often as possible oil and try to move the dist every time. If it's sludged/varnished it will eventually move.

I don't think the dist being 4deg off is your problem. It should't cause it to idle rough.

Sorry, I have been on vacation for about a week and a half. Thanks for helping. If the timing may not be my problem, what could it be? Fast-idle valve? It passed smog like a new car. The technition even thought that it might have the 26,000 miles that the odometer claims (it rolls over), which to me is hard to believe. I tried the wrench, but it just shaved metal off. My neighbor told me about a "boss" built into the block. I guess it is the small opening in the ring on the block where the distributer sits in. He says to stick a punch in it to pop the distributor up. I tried, but failed. I will try it again. Thanks. Oh yeah, I am sure old Cadillacs can be gas hogs, but 11 mpg? The cylinders seem to have good compression. There's no smoke or anything. I mean, come on! My dad's Ford F-250 Super-Duty with its 7.3 liter Diesel usually gets 14-15.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

You might want to look into whether or not your mechanical advance weights are sticking inside the distributor. That would account for crappy fuel economy and sometimes rough idle. Also test the vacuum advance. Try the archive here for previous posts on those subjects. Good luck getting the housing unstuck from the block. Aluminum distributor - cast iron block. Dissimilar metals like to do nasty things given time. Almost any lubricant sprayed near the base will be a waste of time as there is a paper gasket between the block and the distributor shaft boss. If you can get the thing to move just a little then work it back and fourth and it will come loose. A good idea would be to have a spare distributor available in case it becomes damaged or broken.

Thanks. Soon, maybe I won't have to continuously pump the gas just to get it to start.

Thank you for all the help. I was told to test the vacuum advance by sucking through the vacuum line comming from it, and if air came through, it is shot. It's shot. One of my books said that that can cause your timing to retard. Maybe problem solved. Thanks everyone.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Get an Ohmmeter and check across the 2 electronic temperature sensors. 1 is screwed into a coolant passage and the other screws into the intake manifold. They should have pretty much the same reading with a stone cold engine. If one is different then the car will not be happy especially when cold.

I replaced the vacuum advance and it now runs great. Although, it still starts bad. I checked the coolant temperature sensor, and it's bad. Where do you guys go for parts? Auto part stores don't have them.

Hello. I went to pick-n-pull and found the sensor. Instead of paying $70 to $120, I paid about $4.50 plus a dollar for a thirty day warranty. It came from a 1976 Cadillac Seville. The one in the coolant passage in the seville was shot also. So, I pulled the one in the air passage with ease. Because it wasn't in the coolant passage, I guess it wasn't corroded in.

Boy, the hood latch was missing, so they had to use this large picker that rolls over the car and lifts the back of the car, the front, or is a cherry picker for the engine. It pulled on the hood with a hook, chain, and pulley with out any effort, but that hood sure hung on tight. Cadillacs sure are well-built vehicles. Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.