Stalling when making a turn
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Stalling when making a turn in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My 1990 Cadillac Brougham (307 olds engine) seems to stall when I make a turn. It only happens ocassionally. But ...
    adhood219 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Stalling when making a turn

My 1990 Cadillac Brougham (307 olds engine) seems to stall when I make a turn. It only happens ocassionally. But it still bothers me. I will be making a right hand turn and it just stalls out.

After coasting to a complete stop and being cussed at by everyone. The car will start and run just fine. Matter of fact happened right before I got on highway. Once it was restarted it did 70MPH with no problem.

I have new spark plugs, wires, cap, cat. converter, and 02 sensor.

Can't think of what it could be.

I have cleaned the carb throughly. Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I am running oversize 20" rims. ( possible transmission problem)

BTW 130,000 miles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: Stalling when making a turn

It's the rims for sure.....

Hmmm, is it like it runs out of gas or more like it got turned off?

Can you force it to keep running if you pop it in to N or jam on the gas?

Spock is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

It is very likely the float on your carb. It is set too low, so when you turn it essentially runs out of fuel.

walk3rb0h is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Brougham d'elegance

could possible be caused by the fuel screen on your Cat. loss of pressure durring a turn and it may be chocking you out.

netrave is offline Cadillac Owners Member

ok as messed up as this sounds... check your brake booster... i dont know alot about cadillacs, but this happened to one of my buddies cars...

it had some kind of fluid in it, and there is a vacuum line on one side of the booster, and when he turned, the fluid would get sucked into the vacuum line and cause the car to stall...

Phantom&RedGoat2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by netrave View Post
    ok as messed up as this sounds... check your brake booster... i dont know alot about cadillacs, but this happened to one of my buddies cars...

it had some kind of fluid in it, and there is a vacuum line on one side of the booster, and when he turned, the fluid would get sucked into the vacuum line and cause the car to stall...
    I thought of this as soon as I read the post. Good catch!

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

Quote Originally Posted by netrave View Post

Well air is a fluid... what you meant is that there were liquids in the booster... and if that happens, something certainly isnt right! There should never be any liquids in the booster. The only problem a brake booster would cause you is if the vaccuum line were disconnected or its check valve broken... any leaking. That however would not be the problem in this case since the problem occurs during turning.

Along with your carb float you could have some fuel tank issues... either a broken baffle or damaged pickup tube.

Does this problem occur with a full tank of gas?

Phantom&RedGoat2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 Convertible

Sometimes when your brake booster goes out, it's the gasket in the booster behind the reservior that is vacumed by the intake that isn't sealing well. The reason it will only happen while you are makeing a right hand turn is because the slosh of the fluid from the booster spills into the intake. This may not be it in your case, but check it out. I racked my brain on this one when it happened to me.

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom&RedGoat2004 View Post
    Sometimes when your brake booster goes out, it's the gasket in the booster behind the reservior that is vacumed by the intake that isn't sealing well. The reason it will only happen while you are makeing a right hand turn is because the slosh of the fluid from the booster spills into the intake. This may not be it in your case, but check it out. I racked my brain on this one when it happened to me.

Again... there is no liquid inside of the brake booster, unless someone has sabatoged it. What your explaining is a non-event. Are you sure your not mixing up a vacuum booster with a hydro-boost?

joe_padavano is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Allante

Quote Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
    Again... there is no liquid inside of the brake booster, unless someone has sabatoged it. What your explaining is a non-event. Are you sure your not mixing up a vacuum booster with a hydro-boost?
    If the seals inside the master cylinder go bad, AND the seal at the front of the vacuum booster goes bad, it is remotely possible for the brake fluid to be sucked into the booster. It would take about a half dozen instances of the M/C being sucked dry for there to be enough brake fluid to even come close to the vacuum port on the top of the booster.

A much more likely scenario for this stalls on turns problem is the carb. That was mentioned early in the thread. It is unlikely that the problem is in the tank because you'd need to empty the float bowl in the carb before the tank became an issue. Also, consider that there's a wire that might be grounding out under turns.

davedbusman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham

My 91 Brougham does the same thing. This car has the Chevy 305 and variable assist steering. I think it has something to do with the power steering overloading the engine. At low RPMs the pressure is greater for more assist. This high pressure puts a bigger load on the engine so I'm going to try to increase idle speed which should prevent stalling. You can increase the idle speed on the driver's side of the carburetor with the 307. There is a screw which rests against a stop on the throttle linkage. Don't adjust the cylinder (Idle Load Compensator) with the vacuum line. This cylinder increases speed when the A/C is on.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.