Chevy 350 and 200R4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
5.0 and 5.7 Discussion, Chevy 350 and 200R4 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; This might sound like deja vu all over again. I have access to a Chevy 350 engine to put in ...
    caddydream is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Chevy 350 and 200R4

This might sound like deja vu all over again.

I have access to a Chevy 350 engine to put in my Delta 88 with a bad Olds 307. The transmission is 200R4. I know I can bolt the Chevy 350 and the 200R4 together but do I have to change anything and can I keep anything from the 307?

The 307 is carbureted and computer controlled. I haven't seen the 350 yet but if it is throttle body injected there might be a problem. I'd have to adapt the Quadrajet carburetor from the 307 to the 350.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Re: Chevy 350 and 200R4

Actually I'm not sure if you can just bolt a SBC and a 200-4R, seeing as how the SBC is usually bolted to a 700-R4 most of the time, if not all of the time. You might need a bellhousing adapter or something of the sort to get it to work, but someone else can verify or disprove this for sure. All you would need to get the carburetor to work on the 350 engine would be a new intake manifold. You really couldn't get the carburetor to work on top of the TBI manifold with an adapter because the TBI manifold only has 2 separate holer while the carb manifold is designed for a carb.

Thank you for the reply. Not sure what SBC stands for. I know the 2004R can bolt to a Chevy engine. It has the BOP and Chevy patterns.

I thought the throttle body might be a problem. I'd have to get a manifold for the Quadrajet.

One thing, it will be an interesting challenge.

SBC = Small Block Chevy. If the 200-4R has the bolt patterns, then by all means, bolt it up. Remember though, that engines and transmissions usually age at about the same rate, so if the 307 Olds you're replacing had more than 100 thousand miles on it, the 200-4R probably won't enjoy a new 350 in front of it, and you'll be in the tranny shop before too long. As for the manifold, that's no problem, Edelbrock makes some damn good manifolds for about $200. Good luck! We'll need pics when it's done!

Smile Re: Chevy 350 and 200R4

Ah-ha! Small block Chevy. All I could think of was SBC bank near here.

I've thought about the tranny. Just will have to take it easy on her. That 350 might not happen so I'm thinking of buying a whole car or truck so I could use the tranny too. Maybe a 700R4 or a TH350. I'd die for a 454 bolted to a TH400.

I'm having fun just thinking about it. Went out and bought an engine hoist yesterday.

Thanks so much for the help. I get a better response here than on the OldsForums site, and I'm a contributing member. The Olds people don't like Chevys.

PS. Pictures will come.

Quote Originally Posted by caddydream
    The Olds people don't like Chevys.
    LOL, that's no different here either!

My Brougham looks just like yours 90 Brougham 350. I got to post some pics.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

ALL 200 4R's will bolt to a Chevy, not all will bolt to a BOP & C. Most were dual bolt pattern, some were Chevy only. IIRC, NONE were BOP only.

so yes, should be no problems.

No, it is considered sacrilegious to put the enemy engine (Chevy) in an Olds or Pontiac. You will loose a lot of respect from most people on it. Not that most people care if they are doing it. Chevy is cheap to rebuild and make ok power, and good for the aftermarket support.

Me? I'll keep Olds. I like Olds and Pontiac V8's. And swapping has its own issues. Drop in a 403 or 455 and you'll LOVE it.

1. Emissions. Most states do not allow for an engine that is not the same family as came in the car. Aka, 307 Olds, you can swap in a 260, 330, 350, 403, and if you are good, 400, 400, 425 or 455 too.

2. Fuel lines are on wrong side of engine from Pontiac to Chevy, but same side for Chevy to Olds. But Chevy put the fuel pump on upside down, so some line bending is in order. KEEP STEEL LINES!!! Safety!!!

3. Exhaust is very different. This is where the smog cops will get you in almost any state. You are not allowed to touch the cat converter and forward in the exhaust. If you don't have emissions, should be a non issue.

But it is YOUR car, not everyone elses, do you as you want! If it is a rare special one, PLEASE don't destroy the value of it by engine swaps. (like a W30 455 Cutlass and dropping in a 350 Chevy... AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)

I have received a lot of encouragement on this forum to keep my Olds pure Olds. And I appreciate the support. Caddy owners must enjoy the finer things in life.

So, I'm leaning towards keeping the 307 with a rebuild. I know the quirks of this little engine well having had 3 of them. Also I have a lot of extra parts laying around.

The CCC Quadrajet DOES take a rocket scientist to figure out. But I'm thinking of doing the Vulcan Mind-Meld with it. Hey, anything helps.

Spock is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Perhaps I could be of assistance...

Why, thank you Spock. I am a novice at the technique and am unsure of the musical selection to accompany the procedure.

My recollection is of music when performing the Mind-Meld if I'm not mistaken.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

An Olds 350 with the heads and intake you have on your 307 is an excellent combination.

That does sound good. And do-able.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.